Cutting of trees causes traffic, delays workers, students

-A A +A

Tuesday, August 5, 2014


WORKERS, students and other people who commuted yesterday between Cebu City and southern Cebu got stuck in a massive traffic jam as government personnel and volunteers cut diseased trees along the national highway in the City of Naga.

A diversion road in Barangay Inoburan can only accommodate light vehicles so cargo trucks, buses and heavy equipment were stuck in a traffic jam that lasted for hours.

Many passengers of public buses decided to walk past the traffic jam and get another ride.

Advertisement

Commuters said announcements about the cutting should have been made much earlier.

They said many of them did not know about the advisory to leave home early before the cutting starts at 9 a.m.

Amelita Saberon, 45, walked from Barangay Tinaan to South Poblacion in the City of Naga so she can get another ride to Cebu City. She boarded a bus from Carcar City to go to Cebu City where she works.

‘Too late’

She said she was supposed to have a meeting yesterday morning.

“Uwahi ra kaayo sila naka-inform sa mga sumasakay kung unsa orasa nila sugdan ang pagputol. Kay kung nasayo-sayo pa ang pagpahibawo, dili unta matanggung karun (Their announcement came too late. If we had known earlier, we would not have been stuck),” she said.

Mia Sara Albaracin, a college student from Argao, said she was afraid she would not be able to give a report in class.

“Nganong sa buntag man gyud ni sila mamutol uy? Pwede raman unta sila sa gabii magbuhat ana. Daghang matanggong anang ilang gibuhat (Why did they decide to do it in the morning. They should have done it at night so they would not inconvenience many people),” she said.

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 apologized to the public for the inconvenience. DPWH 7 Director Ador Canlas said he hopes to complete the cutting of seven diseased trees in the City of Naga in two or three days.

He said cutting will resume today.

Only two trees were cut yesterday.

Canlas said he hoped that the situation today would be better than yesterday because it is a holiday.

Flora Estrada, a resident of Barangay Inoburan in Naga, said she supports the cutting of the diseased trees to ensure public safety.

Two century-old acacia trees—on in Carcar City and the other in the neighboring town of San Fernando—toppled last month, blocking the south national highway. In the San Fernando incident, the tree fell on a passing truck injuring the driver and his rider.

In Carcar City, no one was hurt when the acacia tree fell on a refrigeration repair shop and a store.

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources 7 supervised the removal of the trees.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 06, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for October 24, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sinulog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Festivals
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • goodearth
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pacman blog
  • Pnoy
  • Calamity Report