Citi Center structures torn down-A A +A
Tuesday, August 19, 2014
THE Cebu City Government started to dismantle more than 100 structures built in the Citi Center Commercial Complex in Barangay Kamagayan and the lot beside it yesterday.
Last February, the City issued a clearing notice to 50 families occupying the spaces inside the building. But the clearing was stalled after the barangay asked for an extension.
Another notice was issued to 80 families living along a city-owned lot at the back of the commercial complex.
Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification and Enhancement (Probe) chief Raquel Arce said the families cooperated with the clearing after the barangay discussed with them why they had to leave.
“The barangay asked for an extension so they can meet the families and discuss with them the plan,” Arce said.
Since last week, families have voluntarily cleared their structures while personnel from the barangay helped City personnel demolish the Citi Center building.
The City has promised to give the evicted families relocation lots.
The clearing of the old building, Arce said, is a preparation for a plan to construct a medium-rise socialized condominium in the area for City Hall employees.
The City will also implement re-blocking in the area after the clearing operation.
“Even without a fire, we will do re-blocking in the area,” Arce said.
She said the City will not transfer the families. A re-blocking will only be done to equally divide the lots among them and restore an interior road there.
The road used to provide access between Jakosalem St. and Junquera St.
The re-blocking, Arce said, will change the image of the Barangay Kamagayan.
While the City has yet to complete the demolition in two areas in Barangay Kamagayan, the City has put up tents near the clearing site as temporary shelters for all families.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 20, 2014.