Fake sex uppers?

Friday, March 6, 2015 - 12:22 a.m.

AGENTS of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7 raided three stores on suspicion of selling fake sex-enhancing food supplement in the cities of Cebu and Lapu-Lapu yesterday morning.

Head Agent Rennan Oliva said they seized 50 packs of counterfeit Robust tablets worth P50,000.

Ungab stays mum

Friday, March 6, 2015 - 12:21 a.m.

RONDA Vice Mayor Jonnah John Ungab is tight-lipped about the controversies hounding him but said these are taking their toll on his five children.

He begged off from commenting on the issues involving his wife Pearl and his former associate, lawyer Jiecel Tiu, when Sun.Star Cebu chanced upon him at the lobby of a Cebu City hotel yesterday noon.

Minglanilla to start new traffic route

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:49 p.m.

THE municipal government of Minglanilla will start implementing a proposed rerouting scheme for northbound private vehicles plying the N. Bacalso national highway.

This is in response to complaints from motorists and commuters on the ongoing roadworks in the town, which is causing massive traffic jams daily.

Heavy traffic

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:46 p.m.

HEAVIER volume of traffic was felt in some roads at the North Reclamation Area (NRA) yesterday as Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) started a new routing scheme.

At past 6 a.m. yesterday, Citom closed a portion of S. Osmeña Blvd. near the Cebu International Port (CIP) towards the Mahiga Bridge as the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) began the next phase of the road-widening project in the area.

New CCMC offers better care for indigent children

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:40 p.m.

INDIGENT children in the city will now be given a better and a more improved medical and health care at the Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC).

Yesterday, the Cebu City Government held a soft opening of the CCMC’s new main building along N. Bacalso Ave., which is the three-story building previously occupied by the City Traffic Operations Management (Citom).

Police seize P1M ‘shabu’ in Sibugay

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:39 p.m.

ANTI-DRUG operatives seized P1 million worth of suspected shabu in Barangay Pung-ol Sibugay, Cebu City last Wednesday afternoon.

They also arrested 42-year-old Danilo “Boy” Arcilla, who was identified by police as an alleged supplier of shabu in the city’s mountain barangays.

File case vs. hospital staff: DOH

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:38 p.m.

THE Department of Health (DOH) 7 has recommended the filing of administrative charges against several medical staffers of the Mandaue City District Hospital for the death of the wife of a former overseas worker last Jan. 3.

The seven-man DOH 7 fact-finding committee resolved to file the administrative charges against the hospital personnel, whose names and designations are yet to be divulged by authorities during the filing of charges. 

15K scholarships open: Tesda

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:37 p.m.

THE Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (Tesda) is offering about 15,000 slots for training scholarships in Central Visayas this year.

Tesda Secretary Joel Villanueva said more than half of the slots will be for scholars in Cebu.

British national sues Sta. Fe mayor

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:36 p.m.

A BRITISH national filed complaint against Santa Fe Mayor Jose Esgana and two police officers for bribery and illegal detention.

Christopher Paul Alexander alleged that Esgana asked him to deal with him for a public-private partnership (PPP) instead of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines regarding the operations of the Santa Fe airport in Barangay Ocoy.

Road concreting project in Tuburan to benefit 18 mountain villages

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:34 p.m.

GOV. Hilario Davide III yesterday turned over a check that contained the P15-million donation for a farm-to-market road concreting project in Tuburan town.

Mayor Democrito Diamante received the check in a ceremony led by Davide, Vice Governor Agnes Magpale and Provincial Board Members Alex Binghay and Grecilda Sanchez.

No mercy for City Hall drug users: Mayor Rama

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:33 p.m.

CEBU City Hall employees will no longer be given another chance to work if they are found positive of using illegal drugs.

Mayor Michael Rama issued this warning during yesterday’s news conference following the random drug tests conducted by the Cebu City Office for Substance Abuse (Cosap).

Drug test in public schools pushed

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:32 p.m.

THE Cebu Provincial Anti-Drug Abuse Commission (CPADAC) announced its plan to conduct a series of random drug tests in the province’s public schools.

CPADAC executive director Joey Herrera said that he already discussed the plan with Dr. Jaime Bernadas, director of the Department of Health Central Visayas, and Dr. Arden Monisit, Department of Education Cebu provincial superintendent.

Woman jumps off bridge

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:31 p.m.

A WOMAN drowned herself to death by jumping off Kinahawan Bridge in Barangay Kinahawan, San Remigio, Cebu last Wednesday afternoon.

She was identified as Narcesa Veranque, 52, married and a resident of Barangay Tacup, San Remegio, Cebu.

Father fetches child in school, shot dead

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:31 p.m.

TWO men on a motorcycle shot to death a man who was fetching his daughter in school in Barangay Liong, Dumanjug on Wednesday afternoon. Markly Tecson, 34, sustained multiple gunshot wounds in his body, the police said.

The daylight attack also injured eight-year-old Niña Bolado who was hit by the stray bullet while sitting in her classroom.

Buzz: Death squad in Davao Norte, not Davao City, charged

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 11:30 p.m.

DID YOU KNOW...

... DEATH SQUADS: FORMER MAYOR REY UY AND 28 OTHER PEOPLE FROM DAVAO DEL NORTE, identified as members of its death squad, have been charged by the NBI for at least 82 murders committed in that province while Uy was mayor from 2004-2011.

Lawyer asks court to review case vs Ronda vice mayor's wife

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 12:04 a.m.

CEBU -- Lawyer Jiecel Tiu wants the court to suspend proceedings in the slight physical injuries against Pearl Ungab, while her bid to pursue a more serious case against the vice mayor’s wife is being reviewed.

Traffic in recla ‘heavier today’

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 12:03 a.m.

STARTING today, some public vehicles on the S. Osmeña Blvd. route will be diverted to other roads as the Department of Public Works and Highways (DWPH) 7 implements the next phase of its road-widening project in the area.

Operations Chief Jonathan Tumulak of the Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) advised the public to leave their houses earlier than usual to avoid being caught in traffic.

Campaign to make archbishop a saint ‘needs proof of miracle’

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 11:42 p.m.

THE Congregation for the Causes of Saints in Rome has opened the process for the possible beatification of the late Archbishop Teofilo Camomot.

Protection racket?

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 11:41 p.m.

A CEBU City official asked leaders of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) to investigate police officers allegedly involved in the illegal drug trade, which he said was rampant in 10 of 80 villages.

Councilor Dave Tumulak said yesterday he has the names of nine police officers who reportedly accept bribes from drug personalities, in exchange for protection.

From 9 projects, town to get 2

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 11:39 p.m.

FROM nine projects for survivors of super typhoon Yolanda, only two appear likely to be implemented in Daanbantayan town.

Mayor Augusto Corro yesterday agreed to slash the total amount—from P885 million to P270 million—that the town will avail itself of from World Bank just so the municipality won’t miss out on the opportunity.

Cite actual need to withdraw evidence, judge tells lawyers

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 11:38 p.m.

REGIONAL Trial Court Judge Ester Veloso struck down the Office of the Cebu Provincial Prosecutor’s to withdraw at least four pieces of evidence in connection with the kidnapping with homicide case against the partner of Bella Ruby Santos.

“The prosecution must specify the actual need for the withdrawal of evidence. Even if these exhibits were not offered, these are part of the seized items in the implementation of the search warrant,” read Veloso’s two-page order.

Wife of ‘widower’ shows up at work

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 11:37 p.m.

A WOMAN allegedly attacked her husband who is a Capitol job-order (JO) employee at the Cebu Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (PENRO), when she discovered that his personnel records indicated that he is a widower.

Rama to LTO 7: Vacate space

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 10:13 p.m.

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama wants the Land Transportation Office (LTO) 7 to transfer from N. Bacalso Ave. to some place else to give way to the expansion of the temporary Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC).

Rama said this will also pave the way for the realization of his plan to convert the One Citilink Terminal, the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) compound and the City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) compound, where LTO 7 currently holds office, into a wellness, quick response, medical and multi-functional complex.

Poe, Erap get Rama’s support as VP Binay’s runningmate

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 10:12 p.m.

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama said that he endorsed three names for the potential runningmate of Vice President Jejomar Binay when the latter runs for president in the 2016 polls under the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA).

“I told him (Binay) that there’s got to be a vice president for you,” said Rama in a press conference he called last Tuesday night.

‘Terminal plan misread’

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 09:38 p.m.

CEBU Gov. Hilario Davide III says the Capitol’s plan for the Cebu South Bus Terminal (CSBT) may have been misunderstood. This was the governor’s statement after the transport sector and stakeholders of the CSBT threatened to withdraw their support for Davide if the Province privatizes the bus terminal operations.

During the 888 News Forum at Marco Polo Plaza last Tuesday, Julito Flores, president of the Cebu South Mini Bus Operators Association, asked if the Capitol is tired of serving the public.

Gov’t. owns watershed lots; they can’t be sold

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 09:36 p.m.

THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 yesterday clarified that watershed areas in Cebu City barangays are owned by the government and it’s illegal for those possessing tax declarations to sell these for their own benefit.

Speaking during the Kapihan sa PIA (Philippine Information Agency), Ambrosio B. Wenceslao, chief of DENR 7 Watershed Section and focal person for the Integrated Natural Resources and Environmental Management (Inrem), said these tax declarations were declared illegal by former secretary Jose Atienza.

Robbed, locked in van, 3 lose P40,000

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 09:35 p.m.

THREE workers of a tobacco firm were robbed and locked up inside their delivery van by three men in Barangay La Paz, Bogo Ciy last Tuesday afternoon.

SPO4 Uswaldo Layson, desk officer of Bogo Police, said the robbers carted away P40,000 in cash from Junmar Sanchez, Darwin Jugan, and Elmer Pilapil.

8-hour water interruption set in Talisay, Cebu City areas

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 09:33 p.m.

THE Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) warns of an eight-hour water supply interruption in some areas of Talisay City and some areas of Cebu City.

Talisay asks Capitol to help in port deal

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 09:32 p.m.

THE Talisay City Government asked the Capitol to endorse the City’s proposal for the Cebu Port Authority (CPA) to transfer the operation and maintenance of the idle port facility to Talisay.

The City intends to use the CPA-owned port following the signing of the lease contract between the City and Asian Marine Transport Corp. (AMTC) to develop the Talisay Fish Port into a roll-on roll-off port.

DENR 7 asked fiscal to reconsider decision vs. CNU researchers

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 - 09:31 p.m.

THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Central Visayas urged the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office to reconsider its decision dismissing the complaint filed by the agency against three students and five professors for killing eight Black Shama birds, locally known as Siloy, for research purposes.

In the motion for reconsideration filed by lawyer Philline Rosame Yu of the DENR 7 Legal Division, officials of the DENR-Protected Area and Wildlife Division (PAWD) argued that the killing of the Black Shama birds is considered a crime under Republic Act 9147.

n/a

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for March 6, 2015

Other front pages

  • Papal Visit
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • Sinulog
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • ePaper
  • Pacman blog
  • Technology
  • Philippine Polls