Village chief: We’re involved, too

-A A +A

Wednesday, August 27, 2014


BONBON Barangay Captain Eduardo Cabriana of Cebu City admitted that they themselves extract sand and gravel from the Mananga River, which they use for the barangay's construction projects.

But it’s not only Bonbon that is responsible for the illegal quarry under the Bonbon bridge.

Aside from residents who rely on quarrying for their livelihood, Cabriana said that six other barangays get sand and gravel from the river for their projects.

Advertisement

Barangays Babag, Pung-ol Sibugay, Malubog, Taptap, Sinsin and Sudlon reportedly rely on Mananga River as source of gravel and sand used for barangay-initiated projects.

In the presence of Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella, he denied that he engaged in illegal quarrying for his personal gain.

“Kana diha, manguha gyud ta diha pero para sa projects sa barangay. Ginagmay ra na hasta ang sa mga residente nga mao na nay ilang panginabuhi gyud. Atong nakita na ug ato ng ipahunong, mangapasmo gyud ang mga tawo (We extract sand and gravel from the river but only for the barangay projects. Everything is small-scale, including those done by residents who rely on quarrying for their livelihood. We observed that if we stop the quarrying, the people will go hungry),” Cabriana told reporters yesterday.

He assured Labella that he would stop all illegal quarry activities in Bonbon, but he appealed to the City Government to provide alternative livelihood to his constituents.

“Og ipahunong, ato ng hunongon. Pero unsay atong mahimo na mabuhi sad intawn ang mga tawo?

Muingon man gyud sila na og wala nay quarry, dili man gyud sila kakaon kay walay ikapalit ug bugas. Pait gyud. Naahat lang gyud na sila kay mao ray gabuhi sa ilang pamilya (We will stop it if we have to but let’s also think how we can help the people survive. They have been quarrying just so they have money for food. It’s the only way for them to earn),” the village chief lamented.

Last week, Labella visited Bonbon and saw signs of quarrying in the river.

He wrote Cabriana a letter and warned barangay officials that the illegal excavation threatens the structural of the newly constructed bridge.

Labella also warned them that quarrying widens the river and it will eventually dry up, which
would cause more problems for barangay officials.

Residents will not have a source of water, especially those whose livelihood depends on livestock, grazing animals and farming.

Labella said he will discuss with barangay and city officials what livelihood assistance they can give Bonbon residents.

He also plans to meet with contractors of government projects to warn them against extracting sand and gravel from the city’s rivers.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 27, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star-Cebu-2014-12-27

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • goodearth
  • Sinulog
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Obituary
  • ePaper
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Festivals
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Calamity Report
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Philippine Polls