Capitol to find work for child of couple in Bogo accident

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 01:29 a.m.

THE Cebu Provincial Government will find work for the daughter of the couple whose motorcycle was hit by a Capitol-owned pickup truck issued to then chief security officer Loy Anthony Madrigal.

Provincial Information Officer Ethel Natera said looking for a job for 19-year-old Leslie Niña Mirambel, a graduate of a two-year computer course, is apart from the other forms of assistance that Capitol has extended to the family.

‘Imagine 300T barrels of rain’

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:57 a.m.

SO MUCH rain fell in Cebu for 14 hours starting late Wednesday night, that it was as if 300,000 barrels of water were dumped over two of its busiest cities.

To prepare for “new normal” events like last Thursday’s floods, Cebu’s cities and towns need to consider building small dams or catchment areas, and to make rainwater harvesting part of their development plans, officials said.

Boulders fall on road, hut in upland village

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:55 a.m.

A BOULDER fell on the pigsty of an elderly couple in Barangay Camp 4, Talisay City before dawn yesterday.

Vicente Marayan, 80, and his 84-year-old wife, Juliana, said they were lucky they decided to stay inside their hut in Sitio Bogo around 4 a.m.

Sibonga VM replaces suspended mayor

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:48 a.m.

THE southern town of Sibonga, Cebu has a new mayor.

Vice Mayor Cirilo Apuda replaced Mayor Lionel Bacaltos as acting mayor last Sept. 15, while the latter is serving a three-month suspension for simple misconduct.

Sonny O on Magpale’s ‘early campaigning’

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:47 a.m.

VICE Gov. Agnes Magpale is busy roaming around Cebu Province to campaign for governor.

That’s what Toledo City Mayor John “Sonny” Osmeña said in his speech during yesterday’s inauguration of the 82-megawatt expansion coal-fired power plant of Global Business Power and Toledo Power Corp.

Woman charged for attack against mother on Internet

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:46 a.m.

A WOMAN who allegedly maligned a single mother in a social networking site was the first person to be charged before the Cebu City Regional Trial Court for violating Republic Act (RA) 10175, or Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012.

Call center agent hit by vehicle, dies

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:45 a.m.

A CALL center agent died after he was hit by an unidentified vehicle in Barangay Banilad, Cebu City last Thursday night.

Victim Marjon Duran, of legal age, sustained severe head injuries, which caused his death.

SRP’s drainage must be linked

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:42 a.m.

A MOVE that seeks to require all locators at the South Road Properties (SRP) to connect all their drainage lines is being pushed by a Cebu City official.

This, after the Mambaling access road was inundated by knee-deep flood water following a heavy downpour last Thursday.

TV ex-talent accused of rape

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:41 a.m.

A FORMER television network talent was accused of rape by a 35-year-old woman whom he met in a bar in Cebu City yesterday.

John, 28, a magician who had previous shows in a television network in Manila, visited Cebu City for an official business.

Oliva no longer Toledo City treasurer

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:29 a.m.

TOLEDO City Mayor John “Sonny” Osmeña yesterday said he relieved City Treasurer Ofelia Oliva and asked the Bureau of Local Government Finance (BLGF) for her replacement.

The mayor clarified that it had nothing to do with the robbery at the City Treasurer’s Office earlier this month, but he did not give a categorical reason why he wanted Oliva out.

Group provides rocking chairs for the elderly

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:28 a.m.

SILYA Foundation, in partnership with Ayala Center Cebu, is offering rocking chairs to senior citizens in Cebu.

Tito Lorete Alcala, the foundation’s founder, said they’ve donated 400 rocking chairs around the country.

Minors tagged is SSS burglary

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:28 a.m.

THE Social Security System (SSS) branch in Barangay Guizo, Mandaue City was burglarized yesterday dawn, allegedly by youngsters.

The office lost four netbooks worth P94,000.

Rafi, LGUs sustain school rehab

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:26 a.m.

TWELVE local government units (LGUs), including typhoon Yolanda-affected areas in the Province, signed yesterday a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. (Rafi) for the rehabilitation of dilapidated school buildings.

Rafi also awarded three LGUs--Asturias, Tuburan and Bantayan--for working with Rafi in the latter's School Rehabilitation Program (SRP).

Bohol-bound boat runs aground; passengers safe

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:26 a.m.

CEBU CITY (Updated) -- A motor banca carrying 40 passengers and seven crew members ran aground off the waters of Cordova, near the Lauis Ledge on Friday.

There were no reported casualties. Two Philippine Navy vessels ferried the survivors to safety.

Fiscal indicts ‘shooter’ in botched Avon heist

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:24 a.m.

THE alleged killer of the security guard in the foiled Avon Beauty Center heist in Talisay City will face trial for murder.

Assistant Talisay City Prosecutor Jenelyn Forrosuelo found enough evidence to indict Sisinio Deiparine Merced, 55, for allegedly shooting to death Security Guard Ramil Bono, 44.

LGUs agree to protect biodiversity hotspots

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:24 a.m.

THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 and nature conservation groups urged other local government units in Cebu to help efforts in conserving key biodiversity areas (KBAs) in their territories.

Al Orolfo, DENR 7 Protected Areas and Wildlife and Coastal Zone Management Service technical director, said the municipal governments of Dalaguete, Alcoy and Argao are drafting measures for more effective wildlife conservation.

‘Drug peddler’ falls during raid

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:22 a.m.

A SUSPECTED drug pusher was arrested yesterday in Cebu City but another evaded a raiding police team.

The San Nicolas Police arrested Jhandel Ceballos, 21, at 6 a.m. and confiscated P400,000 worth of illegal drugs. The police searched Ceballos’s house on Magsaysay St. in Barangay Suba, Cebu City using a warrant from the Regional Trial Court Branch 10.

Madrigal, secretary quit

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:21 a.m.

LOY Anthony Madrigal, the embattled chief security officer of the Cebu Provincial Government, has resigned from his post about a week after he found himself in a string of controversies.

His secretary Iris Plasquita, the woman seen with him in the photos that circulated on social media, also resigned from her post.

Buzz: College plans

Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:19 a.m.

A LOCAL government unit wants to put up a college to accommodate indigent students in the area. The mayor plans to appoint a new ally to head the college.

The plan has been the subject of discussions by insiders.

Cebu City under state of calamity

Friday, September 19, 2014 - 01:04 a.m.

CEBU (Updated) -- Thursday's flood pushed the Cebu City Council to declare the entire city under a state of calamity, which will allow the City Government to undertake emergency flood control projects.

Rivers will be dredged while creeks, drainage systems and other waterways will be declogged as a temporary solution to the flooding problem.

Jaw-dropping

Friday, September 19, 2014 - 12:42 a.m.

A RECENT population study of whale sharks in southern Cebu town of Oslob stresses the importance of the area in the conservation of the species.

The research noted that whale sharks in Oslob likely account for 24 percent of the 650 individual sharks identified in the “Wildbook for Whale Sharks” in the Philippines.

DPWH okays P68-M flood, drainage study

Friday, September 19, 2014 - 12:41 a.m.

SECRETARY Rogelio Singson of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has approved a P68-million contract to study and draft the Metro Cebu integrated drainage master plan.

‘Extorting’ cop in hot water

Friday, September 19, 2014 - 12:36 a.m.

A POLICEMAN, who is assigned in the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7, is accused of bribery in exchange for facilitating a fellow officer’s reassignment.

Chief Supt. Prudencio Tom Bañas, PRO 7 director, has already directed his staff to look into the report because ‘he doesn’t tolerate this kind of shenanigans in this organization.”

100 families to receive land titles

Friday, September 19, 2014 - 12:33 a.m.

SOME 100 families living in two barangays of Cebu City will finally get titles to their home lots.

Land Management Council (LMC) chief Atty. Janesis Ponce said they will distribute the titles next week to the families in Duljo-Fatima and Tinago.

Baby ‘had no heartbeat’ before ma was transferred to VSMMC

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 11:50 p.m.

THE mother of the baby who died at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) last Sunday had a previous miscarriage.

This is contrary to reports that Antonieta Torreon only had one pregnancy since getting married to her husband.

Capitol gets back truck, bike issued to Loy Madrigal

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 11:18 p.m.

A MITSUBISHI Strada pick-up and a motorcycle issued to suspended Capitol chief security officer Loy Madrigal were returned to the Provincial General Services Office (PGSO) yesterday.

Village chief faces rap for issuance of order

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 11:17 p.m.

TALAMBAN Barangay Captain Dario Arcilla faces a criminal case in court for issuance of a cease-and-desist order (CDO).

He was indicted for allegedly usurping the authority of the Office of the Building Official (OBO) when he issued such order to stop a house construction early last year.

60K worth of drugs seized

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 11:14 p.m.

TWO suspected drug pushers were arrested in a raid that yielded over P60,000 worth of drugs in Sitio Mahayahay, Barangay Calamba, Cebu City yesterday afternoon.

Arrested during the raid were Jonard Beldad, 32, and Edna Sueco, 49.

Buzz: ‘Non-candidates’ who might face Jojo Binay

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 11:09 p.m.

IF NOT DILG chief Mar Roxas, who’s all but ready to throw in the towel even before the 2016 match has begun, who could clash with Vice President Jejomar Binay, declared candidate of the opposition?

The names that have come out during the past week, though not with a loud splash and you might not even have read or heard much about:

Dads question Citom job order hiring

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 11:07 p.m.

THE Cebu City Council questioned the move of the City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) to hire 70 job order (JO) personnel.

The hiring of JO’s, which will cost the City P3.7 million for a period of six months, will augment the limited manpower of the traffic body.

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for September 20, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pacman blog
  • Sinulog
  • tell it to sunstar
  • ePaper
  • Filipino Abroad
  • goodearth
  • Calamity Report
  • Pnoy
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Festivals
  • Technology