VP Binay asks for support in 2016 from fire victims | SunStar

VP Binay asks for support in 2016 from fire victims

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

VP Binay asks for support in 2016 from fire victims

Saturday, March 21, 2015

VICE President Jejomar Binay and his daughter, Sen. Nancy Binay, yesterday distributed relief assistance to Cebu City fire victims and met with women and the elderly.

In the meeting held at the Don Vicente Rama Memorial National High School, the vice president asked Cebu City residents to support him in 2016.

Itataas at iaangat po natin ang buhay ng bawat Pilipino. Kailangan ko lang po ang inyong tulong (Let’s uplift the living conditions of Filipinos. I need your help),” he said.

Binay has revealed his intention to run in the presidential race in 2016.

At the national convention of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines yesterday in Cebu City, Binay mentioned in his address to fellow lawyers that the Philippines can become a “great country” that is “prosperous, peaceful and orderly, efficiently governed.”

Binay did not say that these possibilities can be realized if he becomes president. But lawyer Mae Elaine Bathan, former president of the IBP Cebu City chapter, expressed displeasure at Binay’s attempt to solicit the support of IBP members.

“The IBP is non-partisan. That is very clear in our by-laws. We do not endorse any political candidates,” Bathan told Sun.Star Cebu in a text message.

While distributing relief goods to fire victims who are temporarily housed at the Basak Pardo Elementary School, the Binays promised more assistance.

Kami po ay pumunta dito para makapagbigay ng kahit konting tulong at para maibsan ang inyong pinagdadaanan. Umpisa lang po ito ng mga tulog po namin sa inyo (We are here to help you. This is just a start, we will extend more help),” said Senator Binay.

Lot

The vice president, who is also the head of the Urban Development Coordinating Council, said he will look for ways to help fire victims own the lot that was occupied by their houses.

According to a survey conducted by the City Government's Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP), the fire in Basak Pardo covered 8,470 square meters of land in sitios Ulap, Laguna and Bamboo.

It forms part of the 12,500 square meter property privately-owned by Japer Development Corp.

DWUP had already said that they intend to acquire the entire property and convert it into a socialized housing project.

The fire in Basak Pardo displaced 304 families or 1,383 individuals and affected a total of 204 houses.

The Cebu City Department of Social Welfare and Services distributed financial assistance to the fire victims. Families whose houses were destroyed got P10,000 each and those with damaged houses received P5,000 each.

In the meeting with Cebu City’s women and senior citizens’ groups at the Don Vicente Rama Memorial National High School, the Binays were accompanied by some city officials and Valenzuela City Rep. Win Gatchalian.

In a text message to Sun.Star Cebu, Bathan said that lawyers should vote for candidates “whose integrity, probity and dedication to serve is beyond reproach.”

Binay has been accused of plunder in relation to the allegedly overpriced Makati City Hall building, constructed when he was mayor of Makati City.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments