IN preparation for the rainy season, Cebu City’s Project Reduction Danger Zones (Redz) will reiterate its request for P70 million for the dredging of waterways in the city.
Redz chief and Tinago Barangay Captain Joel Garganera said his team will be reintroducing the P70-million flood control projects that were disapproved by the City Council in November last year.
“There is a need to address the situation of our rivers before the rainy season starts. As of now, lots of garbage have already accumulated. Gamay lang uwan, mo-overflow na. There is a need to desilt,” he said.
Garganera added that accumulated garbage in the rivers is emitting foul smell, which may have an effect when classes start on June 1.
Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council presiding officer Councilor Dave Tumulak said he is willing to re-file the proposed resolution covering the P70-million dredging project.
When it was first introduced in October last year, the resolution was proposed by Tumulak and Councilors Gerardo Carillo, Noel Wenceslao, Roberto Cabarrubias and Hanz Abella.
The P70-million budget for dredging is supposed to be divided equally between the north and south districts.
The amount will cover the rental of heavy equipment, such as backhoes, cranes and dump trucks.
For the north, the desilting and dredging project was supposed to be implemented in the Estero Parian waterway (P5.1 million), Lahug waterway (P12.7 million), Mahiga Creek (P7.2 million) and Tejero waterway (P9.9 million).
For the south, it was supposed to cover Guadalupe River (P17.2 million), Kinalumsan River (P13.3 million) and Tagunol waterway (P4.45 million).
However, majority of the council members did not approve the project, saying that dredging the waterways will not solve the city’s flooding problem.
The legislative body also wants the executive department to first submit its methods on how to go about the project to ensure that it will be done properly, considering the amount involved.
For Tumulak, he said now it is time for the City to implement desilting and dredging works while it is still dry season.
There is no schedule yet, though, on when the proposed resolution will be re-filed before the council.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 27, 2015.
Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.