Air force chopper scours seas for missing kids to no avail | SunStar

Air force chopper scours seas for missing kids to no avail

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Air force chopper scours seas for missing kids to no avail

Thursday, October 22, 2015

A CHOPPER was flown yesterday to scour the seas but the three children who disappeared last Sunday in the waters off Olango Island were still nowhere to be found.

Granting the request of Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza, the Philippine Air Force sent a chopper and searched for the boys for two hours, starting around 10 a.m.

Jose Maria Edgardo Retullido, 15; Aaron Hida, 15; and Shawn Michael Daño, nine, went missing after going out to sea on a wooden boat last Sunday morning. They were all from Barangay Baring, Olango Island.

Police officers from Olango Island have been looking for the boys since Monday. A vessel from the navy is also on standby, said Andy Berame, deputy action officer of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

He said they will continue the search unless ordered to stop by the mayor.

Radaza earlier admonished members of the Task Force Kalikasan in Barangay Baring for not preventing the children from going fishing despite the rough seas because of the southeast wind and typhoon Lando.

Berame said rescuers on board pump boats have searched as far as the seas of Bohol and Camotes Island, but no signs of the boys have been found.

The boy’s parents accompanied the search operations.

Berame said the chances of surviving three days at sea without food and drinking water are slim, but that he remains hopeful the children are still alive.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 23, 2015.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments