Adonis Dumpit back in Cebu | SunStar

Adonis Dumpit back in Cebu

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Adonis Dumpit back in Cebu

Adonis Dumpit (Sun.Star file)

SPO1 ADONIS Dumpit is back in Cebu City.

Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 Director Noli Taliño granted the request of Cebu City Councilor Dave Tumulak to reassign Dumpit to the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO).

Dumpit can help CCPO and he has “no derogatory record,” Taliño told reporters yesterday.

Before he was moved to Bohol last August, Dumpit was the close-in bodyguard of Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña.

Tumulak said he will ask the PRO 7 to reinstate Dumpit and two other police officers as escorts of the mayor.

Since the National Police Commission (Napolcom) has given back the deputation of Osmeña, Tumulak said it’s time the mayor got his trusted police escorts back.

If this is what Osmeña wants, Taliño said, the mayor should write a request to Police Director General Ronald dela Rosa.

Taliño told Tumulak, though, that the region first needs to assess any threat to the safety of the mayor before it sends the request to Camp Crame for approval.

Tumulak said, “There is always a threat to our local chief executive. As chairman of the committee on peace and order, I feel that it is necessary for the mayor to have his police escorts. How can he perform his task if no one will protect him, especially now that we have intensified our anti-illegal drug campaign?”

For his part, Dumpit said he was glad about the decision to bring him back to CCPO, but said that as a policeman, he goes wherever he is assigned.

Dumpit told Sun.Star Superbalita that he is with the Personnel Holding Accounting Unit.

He said any assignment is fine with him but he would prefer to be reassigned to his old unit, the Special Weapons and Tactics (Swat).

Dumpit will retire in 2018 when he turns 56, the mandatory retirment age of service officers.

The officer promised to go after criminals like he did before his arrest.

Last August, the PRO 7 relieved Dumpit and two other police officers who were then the close-in security of Osmeña, after the National Police Commission (Napolcom) stripped Osmeña of operational supervision over the local police. Napolcom recently restored the mayor’s supervisory powers.

Taliño said he can assign Dumpit as a security detail for a limited time, say 20 to 30 days only.

Dumpit reported to CCPO last Monday after serving Bohol Provincial Police Office for over a month.

CCPO Director Joel Doria said his office has yet to receive a request on Dumpit’s new assignment.

Dumpit will meet with the different CPPO officials, he said.

The police officer returned to the police service last May after the Court of Appeals granted him to post bail and ordered him to appear in court if he is summoned.

Dumpit went into hiding after Regional Trial Court Branch 6 Judge Ester Veloso issued a warrant for his arrest on Jan. 8, 2010 for allegedly killing suspected robber Ronron Go in 2004. The police officer surrendered on Feb. 1, 2010.

Veloso convicted Dumpit of homicide, instead of murder, in August 2014. He was sentenced to spend six to nine years and four months in jail.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments