Thousands of security personnel to guard Sinulog 2017 | SunStar

Thousands of security personnel to guard Sinulog 2017

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Thousands of security personnel to guard Sinulog 2017

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

THE police will deploy more or less 1,800 personnel for Sinulog 2017, Police Regional Office (PRO)-Central Visayas Director Noli Taliño said in a press conference on Tuesday, January 3.

He added that aside from the 1,800, Task Force Cebu also committed to add 1,000 more.

The PRO-Central Visayas will also conduct a dry run for the security deployment on Wednesday, January 4, after lunch.

Taliño said there has been no direct threat or specific attempt in Cebu City since the recent explosion incident in Hilongos, Leyte.

"As to the threat of bombing and terrorism, wala po tayong direct, specific attempt sa Cebu City but we must be vigilant, alert sa lahat ng nagyayari sa ating paligid. And our policemen are all over na pwede nyong pag-reportan (We have no direct, specific attempt in Cebu City, but we must be vigilant and alert. You can also report to policemen who will be deployed all over the city)," Taliño said.

Reminders

Police Superintendent Artemio Ricabo, Cebu City Police Office deputy director for administration, reminded the public on Tuesday to avoid bringing huge amount of money and jewelries to avoid attracting criminals.

"What we advise to all Sinulog-goers (is to) avoid bringing ample cash amount... and also jewelry, which can attract criminals," said Ricabo.

The deputy director also said that people are only allowed to drink liquor inside the bar, citing the city's ordinance that prohibits drunkenness in public places.

Ricabo said there will be buses that will be used as holding centers, where the police can detain unruly revelers during Sinulog.

Sinulog Foundation Inc. Executive Director Ricky Ballesteros said street parties are not allowed, unless the organizers have permit from the City Mayor's Office, city disaster risk reduction and management office, and an endorsement from the Sinulog Foundation Inc.

"It was announced by the mayor (that) there's no street parties along the parade route. If you're going to hold a party, you have to ask (for) permit," Ballesteros said.

Ballesteros added that according to the rule, street parties are not allowed within 300 meters from the road.

Security at the Basilica

The Basilica Minore del Santo Niño also announced Tuesday that security personnel will be assigned inside the vicinity in preparation for the Fiesta Señor.

"As much as the Basilica vicinity is concerned, we have added security personnel from the agency that we hired. In fact, before Christmas, we conducted a training on skills that will enhance the capacities of our security personnel here in the Basilica," said Fr. Aladdin Luzon, OSA, director of the Committee on Safety, Security, Peace and Order.

A total of 95 personnel will be deployed to conduct roving within the Basilica. About 60 personnel were added from the original 35.

Fr. Luzon said 65 of the personnel will be assigned in daytime, while the rest will assume post in the evening.

With the assistance of the government and volunteers, Fr. Luzon assured that this year's celebration will be peaceful and organized. (Sunnex)

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments