Telco to back PNP proposal | SunStar

Telco to back PNP proposal

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Telco to back PNP proposal

Thursday, January 12, 2017

THE Manny Pangilinan-led telecommunications company said it will support authorities’ call to shut down its communication lines during the solemn procession and the Sinulog Grand Parade on Jan. 14 and 15.

In a statement yesterday, Smart Communications Inc. public affairs head Mon Isberto said the company will follow instructions from authorities, specifically from the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC).

“If you are referring to signal jammers, we do not have those. However, if the authorities instruct us to temporarily suspend our wireless services in the interest of public safety, we will comply,” Isberto, in a text message yesterday, said.

Smart, together with Sun Cellular, are the two wireless units of the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT). Smart, as of press time, has not made clear whether their compliance will extend to Sun Cellular as well as PLDT.

Meanwhile, the Ayala-led Globe Telecom is yet to issue its official statement today (Jan. 12), said its corporate communications head Yoly Crisanto.

Nevertheless, in a text message yesterday, Crisanto said there is a high possibility that NTC will order telcos to disrupt service during Sinulog.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 12, 2017.

Latest issues of Sun.Star Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments