Stricter Sinulog next year: Mayor Tom | SunStar

Stricter Sinulog next year: Mayor Tom

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Stricter Sinulog next year: Mayor Tom

Monday, January 16, 2017

EXPECT a total liquor ban in next year’s Sinulog grand parade, particularlyon Gen. Maxilom Ave. and Juana Osmeña St, Cebu City.

This is the pronouncement of Mayor Tomas Osmeña after he ordered stopped all music in three bars on Juana Osmeña St. last Sunday night.

”Everyone was enjoying too much that it got into a reckless and very serious situation. It was one of the worst things and a shame to the city. Expect a stricter Sinulog that will be one step less than Martial Law,” he said in an interview.

Of the three bars the mayor visited, one reportedly continued to play music after Osmeña left and asked them not to prevent rowdy partying.

Instead of suspending for a month the business permit of Backflip Resto for violating the street party ban, the mayor said the City Government will not be renewing the establishment’s permit.

“It’s funny. Their current permit is already expired and they rushed to comply with all the requirements this (yesterday) morning after I announced what I was going to do last night. I wasn’t the one hungover. Did you think I was going to forget?” he said in a Facebook post yesterday.

The Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 are hoping for signal jamming devices rather than a mobile signal shutdown in next year’s Sinulog.

Regional Director Noli Taliño said the shutdown contributed to the success of the peaceful Sinulog celebration in Cebu City.

“The signal shutdown was the biggest factor as it lessened the police’s concern in security but using signal jamming devices may have been better,” he said.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 17, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments