Landslide in Cebu City displaces 13 families | SunStar

Landslide in Cebu City displaces 13 families

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Landslide in Cebu City displaces 13 families

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

THIRTEEN families living in Barangay Adlaon, Cebu City have to be evacuated after a landslide hit their homes earlier this month.

Due to what happened in Adlaon, officials of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) 7 recommended to not allow homes to be constructed in Sitio Tabok 2 as landslides there could continue due to heavy rains.

Residents living in the area said landslides started to occur there during the rainy Sinulog weekend.

Loida Ardina, 38, one of the evacuees, told SunStar Cebu that she was with her children inside their hut when they heard a loud burst followed by a tremor.

She and her children immediately left their house just as this started to slide down with the earth.

Unknown to Ardina that, around 12 other families in the sitio were also experiencing the same thing.

Another resident, Erwin Bontuyan, said the landslide created cracks in the soil that also split his flower plots. He said he lost P20,000 worth of flowers, which he was supposed to harvest by the Lenten season.

Another resident, Dondon Pitogo, couldn’t return to his hut after it was damaged by the landslide.

The affected families were temporarily evacuated to the barangay hall and are still there now, said Adlaon acting chief Nieves Narra.

Narra told SunStar Cebu that the affected residents have been given with food by the City Government.

Marian Codilla, MGB 7 information officer, said they discovered that the affected area is clayey in nature and is easily saturated especially during heavy rains.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 25, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments