Marina suspends passenger ship’s safety permit | SunStar

Marina suspends passenger ship’s safety permit

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Marina suspends passenger ship’s safety permit

Sunday, February 19, 2017

TO BE INVESTIGATED. (Right foto) Coast Guard Cebu administrative officer John Manuel Alip shows photographs of the damaged portion of the tugboat and Supercat fastcraft in a press conference. (Left foto) The spot where the accident happened, which is just a few minutes from the port area in Cebu City. The Maritime Industry Authority 7 says it is waiting for the marine protests of the vessel captains narrating the details of the accident before it can proceed the formal investigation. Meantime, the agency has suspended the licenses of the captains.(Sun.Star Fotos/Arni Aclao)

THE Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) on Sunday suspended the passenger safety certificate (PSC) of MV St. Braquiel of 2Go Travel in connection with the accident that injured 58 of its passengers the other night.

Marina-Central Visayas Director Nanette Villamor Dinopol said they suspended the license of Captain Reniero Maurin, the master of the vessel MV St. Braquiel.

Marina-Central Visayas Legal Officer Jose Cabatingan said they also suspended the license of Captain Edgardo Binolirao, the master of the vessel MTB (motor tug boat) SMC 8, and the cargo safety certificate of the vessel.

Cabatingan said that Marina-Central Visayas will start the formal investigation of the sea mishap once Maurin and Binolirao will submit their marine protests, which will include the details of the accident.

Cabatingan added that under the law, the management of MV St. Braquiel will shoulder all the expenses in the hospitalization of the injured passengers.

Initial investigation revealed that MV St. Braquiel hit the back of MTB SMC 8 while the boats were maneuvering to enter Mactan Channel at 10:00 p.m. last Saturday.

In a press conference, Commodore. John Manuel Alip of the Philippine Coast Guard Cebu said that MV St. Braquiel, which had 90 passengers and came from Ormoc City, was bound for Pier 4, Cebu City. On the other hand, MTB SMC 8, which was loaded with empty bottles of beer, came from Estancia, Iloilo City and was bound for the San Miguel Corp. (SMC) wharf in Looc, Mandaue City.

Alip said that of the 58 injured, 23 were admitted to the hospitals—17 at Chong Hua Hospital, five at Cebu Doctors’ Hospital and one at Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC).

Those who were admitted sustained lacerations and fractures.

Alip said the PCG will start its own investigation of the sea mishap based on the marine protests to be submitted by Maurin and Binolirao.

According to the coast guard authorities, the marine protests should be submitted within 24 hours after the incident. Otherwise, both shipping companies will commit another violation.

In its Enforcement Inspection Apprehension Report, the PCG-Cebu stated that the injured passengers were rescued by MV Judiel, MV Braquiel’s sister vessel, and brought to Pier 4 where they were fetched by ambulances.

Cebu City Public Information Officer Nagiel Banacia said the Command Control Center (C-3) of the Cebu City Risk Reduction Management Council immediately responded to the incident and helped some of the injured passengers.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 20, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments