7 Korean nationals face charges for trafficking | SunStar

7 Korean nationals face charges for trafficking

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

7 Korean nationals face charges for trafficking

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Charged. Nine Korean nationals arrested for alleged sex tourism are now facing charges for human trafficking. (SunStar Foto/Alan Tangcawan)

SEVEN of the nine Koreans who were reportedly involved in sex tourism in Cebu were charged with violation of Republic Act 10364 or the Expanded Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2012 yesterday afternooon.

Members of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7 led by Special Investigator Arnel Pura filed the case against the suspects at past 2 p.m.

The Provincial Women’s Commission (PWC) will also continue its campaign against human trafficking cases in Cebu, said Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale.

This, despite the fact that two of seven rescued trafficked women refused to cooperate with authorities against the Koreans.

Charged for trafficking are Jongnam Ham, Jongin Han, Munsu Lee, Hosik Park, Joontae Kim, Jae Gyu Kim and Dongkil Kim.

They are among the Koreans arrested in a resort hotel in Barangay Marigondon, Lapu-Lapu City after allegedly tapping a syndicate to hire Filipina women as escorts. According to authorities, the syndicate allegedly has a local contact.

Transactions are made online.

Acting Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Marcial Ycong asked police officials and councilors to address the matter.

Lapu-Lapu City officials will meet the hotel and resort owners at 1 p.m. today to discuss how to stop sex tourism in the city.

In the meeting, Acting Vice Mayor Harry Radaza said, they can come up with an ordinance on the matter.

In Mandaue City, Mayor Gabriel Luis Quisumbing said the City needs the involvement of the private sector to solve the problem.

Needs help

He said the Mandaue City Police Office and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency have talked with some motel owners, who promised to cooperate with them in the fight against child pornography, illegal drugs and prostitution.

“We cannot look into everything at the same time. We need the private sector to help us through confidential and anonymous tips,” the mayor said.

“There is no letup. We will continue with our campaign against human trafficking,” Magpale, PWC chair, told reporters yesterday.

The vice governor said she hopes the remaining seven rescued women will cooperate with the authorities in filing charges and, subsequently, in the prosecution of cases in court.

Agents of National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7, in coordination with the PWC, arrested nine Koreans allegedly involved in sex tourism in Lapu-Lapu City last March 4.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 07, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments