4 of 6 Minglanilla 'attempted kidnapping' suspects released | SunStar

client = pub-2836569479021745
slot = 1904666714
width =
height =
shape = auto
client = pub-2836569479021745
slot = 9030333913
width = 320
height = 50
shape = auto

4 of 6 Minglanilla 'attempted kidnapping' suspects released

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

4 of 6 Minglanilla 'attempted kidnapping' suspects released

Monday, March 20, 2017

THE Office of the Cebu Provincial Prosecutor released yesterday four of the six persons who allegedly attempted to abduct four pupils of Minglanilla Central School.

Assistant Provincial Prosecutor Liewelyn Bonghanoy, who handled the inquest proceeding, did not find enough evidence to file charges against Estela Montes, 50; Marian Serenio, 19; Reymart Abobo, 20; and Federico dela Cruz, 21.

But James Kevie Paradela, 18, and Rheamay Sagmon, 33, will face an attempted kidnapping case.

Paradela allegedly grabbed a 10-year-old fourth grader by her hand, while Sagmon allegedly instructed her to get inside the van last Thursday, around lunchtime.

For his part, Paradela said he did not grab the girl with force. He only asked the girl where he could buy guavas for lunch.

The fourth grader was able to escape by reportedly biting Paradela’s hand. She identified him and Sagmon.

Supt. Dexter Calacar, Minglanilla police chief, said they filed complaints against the suspect for attempted abduction and Republic Act (RA) 7610, or the Special Protection of Children against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act.

Calacar said they earlier planned to file complaints of violating RA 7610 and attempted human trafficking, but they did not push through with the latter, saying there is insufficient evidence.

Bonghanoy, however, overturned the complaints and changed it to attempted kidnapping, but only against Paradela and Sagmon.

The suspects, represented by their lawyer Vincent Isles, opted not to file counter-affidavit and undergo preliminary investigation.

Isles said his clients do not want to stay in the detention cell of Minglanilla Police Station for another day. The attempted kidnapping case is a bailable offense.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments