A NEW church now stands at the mining village of Don Andres Soriano (DAS) in Toledo City.
The Archdiocese of Cebu formally inaugurated the new Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish in Barangay DAS last Sunday.
Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma and priests assigned in Toledo City led the pontifical mass, which was then followed with a dedication and blessing of the new church.
The dedication and blessing of the mass coincided with the barangay’s yearly fiesta celebration in honor of the Lady of Mt. Carmel.
The construction of the new and bigger church was funded by the Carmen Copper Corp. (CCC) and by donations from parishioners and other organizations in DAS.
The mining firm, through its Social Development and Management Program, donated a total of P11.3 million for the church’s construction.
Of the amount, P3.8 million was spent for the stained glass windows and P3 million for the construction materials and cash grants to the church.
The company also spent P4.5 million for the last phase of construction.
In an interview, Palma said they are grateful to CCC and others who donated to complete the church.
Before becoming a parish, the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish started as a small chapel built by the Atlas Consolidated Mining and Development Corp. in 1958.
The old chapel served as a spiritual respite for workers and residents of the mining village and neighboring barangays of Cantabaco, Campo 8 and Loay.
The old chapel was eventually converted into a parish a year later through the effort of the late Cebu Archbishop Julio Cardinal Rosales. (JKV)
Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on July 18, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.