New PRO 7 director assumes post | SunStar

New PRO 7 director assumes post

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

New PRO 7 director assumes post

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Change. Chief Supt. Jose Mario Espino (left) receives the command symbol from Police Deputy Director General Archie Francisco Gamboa (right) in the presence of Chief Superintendent Noli Taliño (center). (SunStar Foto/Arni Aclao)

THE new director of Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 vowed to continue the fight against illegal drugs and other crimes in the region.

Chief Supt. Jose Mario Espino said that police officers should always be busy catching criminals, drug lords, and pushers.

He also warned erring cops to stop their wrong ways.

Espino replaced Chief Supt. Noli Taliño, who will receive his second star rank as director of the Human Resource and Doctrine Development in Camp Crame, Manila.

Taliño, who replaced Chief Supt. Patrocinio Comendador in July last year, saw several accomplishments in the drive against illegal drugs, cleaning PRO 7 from erring cops, and the filing of charges against Bohol Provincial Board Member Niño Rey Boniel who allegedly killed his wife Bien Unido Mayor Gisela Bendong-Boniel.

“Our aggressive campaign against illegal drugs yielded great impact in the peace and order situation in Central Visayas,” Taliño said.

The excursion of 11 Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) terrorists in Bohol also happened under Taliño’s watch.

They were killed in a joint effort by the police and military.

Supt. Maria Cristina Nobleza, deputy crime laboratory chief in Davao region, was arrested with his alleged boyfriend and ASG bomb expert Reinorlo Dungon. Two other alleged cohorts were caught.

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) meetings in Central Visayas were also successful.

“I cannot claim singular credit for what I have accomplished. Today, I take pride in saying that it was truly an honor to be given this opportunity to serve the people of Central Visayas,” Taliño said.

Asked about PRO 7’s new leadership, Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña said he is not expecting anything.

“If he turns out better, fine. If he does not turn out better, bad. Why will we worry about something I don’t control?” he said.

The mayor earlier said that he wants his police commanders, who were replaced last year, back. He was referring to Comendador.

Cebu Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale, for her part, commended Taliño’s performance in the region.

“We are very sad because he is very effective,” she said.

Magpale asks the new PRO 7 head to continue what Taliño had done. (KAL, RVC, Arnold Tucong, MSU Intern)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on July 18, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments