FOR failure to comply with the permits needed, two branches of Rico’s Lechon were ordered closed by the Cebu City Government.
Lawyers from City Legal Office and personnel from Prevention Restoration Order Beautification and Enhancement (Probe) served two separate closure orders yesterday to the restaurant’s branches on Escario St. and F. Cabahug St.
The order was signed by Mayor Tomas Osmeña.
A copy of the order printed in a tarpaulin was also posted at the front doors of the two branches.
In his news conference yesterday, Osmeña said he may no longer allow the establishments to reopen.
“Once you have a violation, you have a violation. So don’t think that all you need to do is just to comply. No,” he told reporters.
The branch on F. Cabahug St. has not renewed its business permit for five years already while the one on Escario St. did not secure a business permit from the City since the start of its operation last year.
The matter is a violation of the Cebu City’s Revised Omnibus Tax Ordinance, said City lawyer Anthony Sing.
In a press statement, Rico’s acknowledged that it received the notice from the office of the mayor. The company is just waiting for the final business permit to be released when the notice of closure was served. The supporting documents for the release were duly received by the designated local office or department prior to the notice.
According to the closure orders, the owners of the two establishments were given notices to comply last June 1 and July 13, but they failed to comply.
A separate show cause orders dated July 21 were also issued to them.
One of its workers who asked not to be named said they were just instructed to close the store while the management has yet to complete the processing of permits.
The branch on Escario St. posted a notice to their customers informing them that they’re temporarily closed while processing of their permits is ongoing.
The branch on F. Cabahug St., however, informed their customer that the store was closed because they’re transferring to another location.
The worker said they were not informed on when they will reopen.
Some of its customers were also shocked that the store was closed.
Melanie Cortes went to Escario St. branch to have lunch but has to go to another restaurant upon learning that the store was already closed.
“My family just want to eat lechon today but the restaurant is already closed so we have no choice but to go to another restaurant. I didn’t know they’re operating without a business permit,” she told SunStar Cebu. (RVC)
Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.