Ironman 2017 a successful race, says Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza

Ironman 2017 'a successful race'

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Ironman 2017 'a successful race'

Monday, August 07, 2017

CEBU. Implementation of road closures and traffic rerouting for the Ironman 70.3 Philippines triathlon race caused heavy traffic on the Marcelo Fernan Bridge. (SunStar Cebu photo/Alex Badayos)

ALTHOUGH the event was marred by the death of a triathlete, Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza believes that the 2017 Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines triathlon race was a success.

In Cebu City, though, drivers complained about the implementation of road closures and traffic rerouting for the event.

“There were some private car owners who complained, particularly in the Bulacao area, because their destination were the establishments in the South Road Properties (SRP) but we already expected it,” said Francisco Ouano, head for operations of the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO).

Ouano said their office issued road closure advisories several weeks prior to the Ironman so the public will be informed.

He said the traffic situation in the city yesterday was light and moving.

The Cebu South Coastal Road, which was part of the route for the bike leg of the race, was closed starting 5 a.m. and was reopened to the public at 1 p.m, said Ouano.

“We opened the roads after most of the athletes and other participants went back to their hotels,” he said.

CCTO recorded no road accidents in the city during the event.

Radaza, in a separate interview, disclosed that the organizers are planning to hold the Ironman Asia-Pacific championships in Lapu-Lapu City next year.

“The organizers were really impressed. The athletes were really treated to a festive environment in our city,” she said.

Radaza also said they made sure that traffic in the city was not affected. The City Traffic Management System conducted information drives to motorists and drivers a few weeks before the race.

In Talisay City, three triathletes were hurt during the bike leg in SRP.

Christian Alan Bucao of the Talisay City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office told SunStar Cebu that the athletes incurred minor injuries and were brought to a private hospital in Cebu City for immediate medical attention.

In terms of peace and order, the Talisay police said that the city was generally peaceful during the event.

Supt. Emerson Dante, Talisay City Police chief, said they recorded no untoward incidents from dawn up to 12 noon yesterday. (JKV, JOB)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on August 07, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments