New traffic rerouting scheme to be implemented August 9 | SunStar

New traffic rerouting scheme to be implemented August 9

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

New traffic rerouting scheme to be implemented August 9

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

CEBU. Police and Cebu City Transportation Office personnel man the traffic along N. Bacalso Ave. corner F. Llamas St. on Tuesday, August 8, 2017, first day of the underpass construction. (SunStar Cebu)

AS A measure to prevent the working community from going to and from work late, the Cebu City Transportation Office is opening an alternative route schedule for all vehicles by 7 a.m. Wednesday, August 9.

Councilor Dave Tumulak, who was tasked by Mayor Tomas Osmeña to supervise the construction of the P683-million underpass along N. Bacalso Avenue, said that although the first day of the road closure ran smoothly, there is a need to reroute traffic.

Phase 2 of the project is expected to run in the next four months.


From 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Wednesday, all northbound public utility vehicles (PUJs) will take one lane of the southbound portion of the affected area.

All northbound private vehicles, on the other hand, may take the interior roads along Cabreros St. and Tagunol St.

For southbound PUJs, they are advised to right turn to Caimito St., left turn to Ganciang St., left turn to F. Llamas St., then to their point of destination.

From 5 a.m. to 8 p.m., all northbound PUJs shall turn left to F. Llamas St., then right turn to Ganciang St., to Gochan St., then to their point of destination.

Southbound PUJs will follow their usual route.

Tumulak said all vehicles can take their usual route from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. since traffic flow is not heavy during this time.

Trucks, however, are banned from plying N. Bacalso Avenue to prevent congestion and causing the riding public inconvenience.

“What we are trying to do here is to protect and help our working constituents. Heavy traffic would be expected during peak hours and they should not be inconvenienced,” Tumulak said.

Project manager Engr. Roy dela Cruz has requested that City to keep the traffic enforcers deployed to man traffic in the area for the duration of the project, but Osmeña said the City is not obligated to do so.

Some of the affected residents, although supportive of a way to solve traffic, have raised concerns on the project.

Rose (real name withheld),, who owns a water refilling station along the area, said that since the road closure, they have lost thousands of revenue.

“Our daily revenue is P5,000 and it’s already 10 a.m. but we’ve barely made P400. This is how it’s going to be in the coming months and I’m worried with how we’ll get by,” she told SunStar Cebu.

Mark, a college student, said he had to walk far to take a PUJ to school, which was inconvenient. (RTF/SunStar Cebu)

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments