Cop chief assures public: Teen slay in Caloocan 'isolated' | SunStar

Cop chief assures public: Teen slay in Caloocan 'isolated'

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Cop chief assures public: Teen slay in Caloocan 'isolated'

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) Director Senior Superintendent Joel Doria

CEBU City Police Office (CCPO) Director Senior Superintendent Joel Doria assured the public that the incident in Caloocan where a 17-year-old boy was killed by the police is an isolated case.

"It will not happen here in Cebu City. We conduct briefings with our station commanders before every operation sa kung anong dapat at hindi dapat," Doria said.

Kian Lloyd delos Santos was shot dead by the police in Barangay 160 in Caloocan City on Wednesday night.

The killing of the teenager earned the ire of the public, especially after learning that he was not included in the list of drug peddlers in the area.

The CCPO conducts a weekly Oplan Galugad or One Time Big Time operation where most minors were rescued from suspected drug pushers.

Authorities earlier claimed that Delos Santos attempted to flee and engaged policemen in a firefight during the “One Time, Big Time” drug raids in Caloocan City.

Witnesses, however, disputed the policemen’s claim, saying the guns and drugs seized with Kian were planted.

Also, footage from a security camera showed two policemen dragging Kian before he was found dead.

Witnesses said the boy was begging the officers to let him go as he was being forced to reveal drug suppliers. They said the boy was given a gun and was instructed to fire it and run away, possibly to corroborate claims he resisted arrest.

Human rights chair grieves

Commission on Human Rights (CHR) chairperson Chito Gascon has expressed sadness over the death of a 17-year-old senior high school student, saying that children are now part of the rising death toll.

“Malungkot na kaganapan na ang ating mga kabataan ay nagiging bahagi sa rising death toll (It is sad that our youth are part of the rising death toll),” Gascon told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) after a press conference at the CHR office Friday afternoon.

”Malungkot itong kay Kian. Nangarap pala siyang maging police officer. Mataas ang pagtingin sa kapulisan (Kian’s case is sad. He dreamt of becoming a police officer. He looked up to the police),” Gascon lamented.

“Kung paniniwalaan natin yung CCTV (closed-circuit television) camera footage, hindi siya kailangan mapatay dahil mayroong eksenang lumabas sa CCTV, hawak na siya ng pulis. Tapos ang kasunod na eksena ay ito, napaslang siya (If we are to believe the CCTV footage, he did not have to end up dead. There was a scene in the CCTV where he was held by the police. Then in the next scene, he was already dead),” he added.

Gascon said the CHR is investigating Kian’s case, along with other deaths from police operations in Bulacan, Manila, Quezon City, Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, and Valenzuela this week. (JOB/with PNA)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on August 19, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments