11-year-old boy buried in landslide dies | SunStar

11-year-old boy buried in landslide dies

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

11-year-old boy buried in landslide dies

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Concordia Barcoso was rushed to CCMC Ambulance and QRT personnel of Cebu City Disaster Management Office due to high blood pressure while Ambulance 1 staff attended to the rescued survivor, Juanito Barcoso, of a landslide that hit Purok 3, Barangay San Jose at 8:45 Friday evening. (Nagiel Bañacia)

AN ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD boy grade five student died after he was buried with debris due to a landslide that hit Purok 3, Barangay San Jose at 8:45 Friday evening.

According to Nagiel Bañacia, head of the Cebu City disaster council, said in a Facebook post that Kyle Ashley Barcoso was pinned down by a boulder prompting the crew from Cebu City Ambulance Service to call for help from search and rescue personnel of Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation.

Juanito Barcoso, 62, grandpa of the fatality, was rescued from the destroyed house about an hour later sustained minor injuries on the upper portion of his right leg.

He said rescuers tried to revive Kyle. They rushed him to Cebu City Medical Center together with Juanito but Kyle did not reach the hospital alive.

Bañacia said the higher ground at the side of their house suddenly collapsed. The loose soil and boulders destroyed their house made of light materials.

This is the fourth landslide to happen in the city following the on and off heavy downpour.

In Barangay Busay, the road in Sitio Garahe going to Mountain View Nature Park remains closed to motorists and pedestrians after a portion of the roadside soil collapsed along the road following last Monday’s heavy rain.

In an earlier interview, Bañacia said the road will remain closed until the area is declared safe for motorists and pedestrians. The public is advised to take a diversion road in Barangay Babag to ensure safety.

Two days after the incident, the owner of the house near the incident area voluntarily demolished their home to prevent further soil erosion.

Two landslides also happened in Barangays Sapangdaku and Buhisan following the heavy downpour last Monday. Bañacia said there were no reports of casualties or injuries in all three landslides.

Apart from landslides, flooding has also become more prevalent due to bad weather.

Hours prior to the incident in San Jose, three persons, including two young boys, died after the strong current of a river in Sitio Riverside, Barangay Guadalupe, swept them away during the heavy downpour.

With the bad weather these days, Bañacia advised residents of landslide and flood -prone areas to prepare and be ready to evacuate when necessary.

“They are the ones who have the best knowledge when it comes to eminent danger in their area. They should always check, be alert and be prepared for whatever happens,” he said. (RTF, SunStar Philippines)

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments