Comelec: Gun ban stays until Duterte postpones polls | SunStar

Comelec: Gun ban stays until Duterte postpones polls

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Comelec: Gun ban stays until Duterte postpones polls

Monday, October 02, 2017

THE Commission on Elections (Comelec) said that the gun ban, which was implemented starting yesterday, will remain in effect until President Rodrigo Duterte signs the postponement of the barangay elections.

The House of Representatives had approved the postponement of the October 2017 barangay elections to May 2018. However, the Senate approved a postponement until October 2018.

Duterte also needs to approve and sign one of these measures, which will be published in newspapers of general circulation before it will be implemented.
Cebu Provincial Elections Supervisor Lionel Marco Castillano reminded licensed gunholders not to carry their firearms outside of their residences.

“They must not carry firearms during the gun ban, otherwise, they will be arrested,” said Castillano.

He said that the Oct. 23, 2017 schedule of the barangay elections is still in effect because the law postponing the polls is still set to be signed by Duterte.

Castillano said that those who will be caught carrying firearms will be charged in court, and may face a maximum imprisonment of six years.

Those who will be convicted for such an offense will be disqualified to hold public office for life.

Castillano said that while there is a law granting a probation to persons sentenced to not more than six years, those who will be convicted for violating the gun ban cannot avail himself of the privilege. (EOB)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on October 02, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments