Comelec Cebu awaits order stopping prep for brgy. polls | SunStar

Comelec Cebu awaits order stopping prep for brgy. polls

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Comelec Cebu awaits order stopping prep for brgy. polls

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

THE Commission on Elections (Comelec) Cebu Province is waiting for the commission en banc to issue resolutions stopping the preparations for the Oct. 23, 2017 elections, and revoking the election gun ban.

This, after President Rodrigo Duterte signed the law postponing the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Elections to May 14, 2018.

“Those resolutions were issued for the purpose of the Oct 23, 2017 election. If there’s no election this coming Oct. 23, these resolutions have no legal effect,” said Provincial Election Supervisor Lionel Castillano. 

Republic Act 10952 postpones the barangay and SK elections to May 14, 2018, with incumbent local officials being ordered to remain in office.

Castillano said the Comelec already spent for the printing of ballots and the list of voters.

The ballots, however, can still be used once the dates are changed.

For Castillano, postponing the election has advantages.

For one, the poll body can freely use the schools in May next year since the students will be on summer vacation.

Transporting election paraphernalia to the islands will also be easier during summer.

Castillano, in an interview yesterday, said they are also waiting for orders regarding the continuation of the preparations for the May 2018 barangay polls.

Comelec Manila has already asked them for an inventory of the forms and the voters registration machines.

Castillano said the voters’ registration will continue until a deadline is announced. (Angel Mae Bellita, USJ-R Intern)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on October 05, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments