CH gets 21 more trucks for garbage services | SunStar

CH gets 21 more trucks for garbage services

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

CH gets 21 more trucks for garbage services

Friday, October 06, 2017

Additional trucks. Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña (left), Councilor Eugenio Gabuya Jr. (right), and DPS chief Roberto Cabarrubias (center) inspect the 21 vehicles from Pamocor that were parked at the Plaza Sugbo grounds. (SunStar Foto/Arni Aclao)

THE Pasajero Motor Corp. (Pamocor) started to deploy the 21 trucks rented by the Cebu City Government to augment City Hall’s garbage collection services.

Of the 21 vehicles, Councilor Eugenio Gabuya Jr. said that 11 are dump trucks while 10 are compactor trucks.

Gabuya, along with Mayor Tomas Osmeña and Department of Public Services (DPS) chief Roberto Cabarrubias, inspected the vehicles yesterday to make sure that all are in good running condition.

Aside from the blue and yellow paint, a seal of the City was also printed on the trucks for monitoring purposes.

“There should be a monitoring on this because we are spending for this. That is why there are identifying marks so people can help us in the monitoring. The residents can always report to us when the trucks are not running,” Gabuya said.

The City is leasing the trucks for more than P50 million.

Pamocor had won the bidding for the City’s garbage collection program by giving the lowest bid of P700 per hour rental for each truck.

Cabarrubias said the additional trucks will be a great help to DPS’ garbage collection since these will run 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“Our garbage collection before is on and off because some of our trucks broke down, but with the rented trucks now, the supplier will have to replace immediately if one of the trucks will encounter problems,” he said.

From around 620 tons of garbage collected by them daily, Cabarrubias said they are expecting to increase it to 800 tons.

Cabarrubias said the compactor trucks are intended for the implementation of the City’s “Basura Mo, Sardinas Ko” program in the barangays.

He said the City will be implementing the program soon in other areas, particularly near rivers to prevent residents from throwing their wastes in the waterways.

But while waiting for the program’s expansion, Cabarrubias said the trucks will be temporarily used in the city-wide garbage collection. (RVC)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on October 06, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments