Cop wounded in shootout with Largo gets award | SunStar

Cop wounded in shootout with Largo gets award

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Cop wounded in shootout with Largo gets award

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Philippine National Police Chief General Ronald dela Rosa pinned pinned the Medalya ng Sugatang Magiting (Philippine National Police Wounded Personnel Medal) to Police Officer 3 David Naraja Jr. on Wednesday, October 18. (Kevin A. Lagunda)

POLICE Director General Ronald dela Rosa awarded on Wednesday morning, October 18, a medal to the police operative who was wounded in the operation against the killer of a government employee's son.

Dela Rosa pinned the Medalya ng Sugatang Magiting (Philippine National Police Wounded Personnel Medal) on Police Officer 3 David Naraja Jr., an operative of Regional Special Operations Group of Police Regional Office (PRO)-Central Visayas.

Naraja was with his fellow operatives when he was hit on the left portion of his face during the shootout with alleged gun-for-hire Jessie Largo at 4:20 p.m. Monday, October 16, in Sitio Aromahan, Barangay Dumlog, Talisay City, Cebu.

READ: Jessie Largo killed in police shootout

Largo was identified by witnesses as the killer of John Ronli Calizar, the son of Philippine Information Agency-Central Visayas employee Ferliza Contratista, in Talisay City last August 26.

Naraja will receive P50,000 to P100,000 financial assistance from Camp Crame.

Dela Rosa told Najara to report to duty once he is fully healed from his wound.

Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña and Talisay City Mayor Eduardo Gullas visited Naraja in his room at Cebu Doctors' Hospital. The officials gave financial aid to the police officer.

Gullas promised to handle the hospital bills.

The reward to the two men who informed the police of Largo's hideout was also given Wednesday.

Dela Rosa was accompanied by Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Secretary Michael Lloyd Dino and PRO-Central Visayas Director Jose Mario Espino to Cebu Doctors' University Hospital in Cebu City past 11 a.m. Wednesday, October 18.

Dino also gave financial assistance from President Rodrigo Duterte to Naraja.

Dr. Potenciano "Yong" Larrazabal III, the president and chairman of the board of Cebu Doctors' Group of Hospitals, said they will not charge Najara for the medicines, surgery and other expenses.

Dela Rosa complained that the other private hospital, where Najara was first brought, did not allow the latter to be admitted without the P10,000 downpayment.

Espino said that PRO-Central Visayas sent a complaint letter to the hospital on Wednesday.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments