Provincial jail crackdown | SunStar

Provincial jail crackdown

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Provincial jail crackdown

Thursday, October 19, 2017

GOV. Hilario Davide III has issued a 30-day preventive suspension against 10 guards and two other employees of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) pending the investigation of their alleged illegal activities.

Davide has directed Deputy Jail Warden Audiste Miguel to implement the order and proceed with the investigation based on the confidential reports that he received.

He said that Miguel informed him that the preventive suspension order has been implemented except for one who has not reported for work since Oct. 13.

“Reports reaching me that there are some CPDRC personnel who are involved in the commission of acts prejudicial to the interest of the Provincial Government, which may constitute misconduct or neglect of duty,” Davide said.

The reports include the entry of contraband to the CPDRC. Davide had told the media that illegal acts would not happen without the involvement of the guards.

“We are now investigating on these reports. If in the investigation the result is negative, they are entitled to back pay in salaries for the period of suspension and will receive a Christmas bonus,” Davide said.

The 30-day preventive suspension is the maximum in the civil service rules.

Davide said that CPDRC management will adjust shifting assignments, especially on Mondays to Fridays, when guards escort detainees to court hearings.

“We will probably again request the PNP (Philippine National Police) to augment in the absence of the 10 guards,” Davide said.

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on October 20, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments