THE two women who were missing after collecting shellfish in Buaya Village, Lapu-Lapu City last Sunday were found dead in Leyte Saturday morning, October 21.
The victims were Helen Gingco, 25 and Jenny Rose Tormon, 29.
Their bodies were drifted to the shores of Sitio Cabatuan, Barangay Tinag-an in Albuera.
Tinag-an Barangay Councilor Leonardo Mandras told SunStar Cebu that a body of a woman was found around 1 a.m. while another one was seen at past 3 a.m. by a fisherman living in the area.
“Nasang-at ilang lawas sa baybayon kay dagko man ang bawod (Their bodies were washed ashore by the big waves),” said Mandras.
Mandras was not able to give the description on what the first woman was wearing because it was immediately sent to a funeral parlor in the town proper of Albuera.
As to the second woman, he said she was wearing a brown pair of shorts and a black t-shirt with “I love Cebu” print on the back.
Mandras said the woman was in his 20s.
In a report from dySS radio, the bodies of the victims were sent to a funeral home in Albuera, Leyte.
Gingco was reportedly from Carmen, Cebu and was temporarily staying in Sitio Sea Breeze in Barangay Pusok. Tormon was from Iloilo. They were both workers in a catering service.
A text message forwarded by City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Officer Andy Berame from the Office of the Civil Defense 8 said the bodies were already decomposing.
Eliseo Abing, 32, boyfriend of Tormon, said that Bobby Nalzaro of dySS Super Radyo sent him a photo of the bodies that were found in Leyte in his Facebook account.
“Ang litrato akong gipakita sa duha nga naka-survive. Positive nilang giila basi sa gisul-ob (I showed the photo to the two survivors. They identified the bodies through their clothes),” said Abing.
Abing, a resident in Buaya, said Tormon and Salise were his boarders.
Last Sunday, Gingco visited her friend’s boarding house in Buaya and agreed to collect shellfish in Sitio Saac in the same village along with two other friends.
While they were gleaning shellfish, a heavy downpour happened.
Glenda Docdoc and Jesica Salise survived, but Gingco and Tormon were no longer found after the rain.
Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza on October 18 tasked the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office to expand its search for two missing women by going to the houses of their friends.
The operation was called off two days later after the area had been thoroughly searched where the women were last spotted, including underwater through the volunteer divers. (FMG/SunStar Cebu)
Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.