P10,000 reward dangled for Cebu road rage suspect | SunStar

P10,000 reward dangled for Cebu road rage suspect

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

P10,000 reward dangled for Cebu road rage suspect

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Road rage

CEBU City Mayor Tomas Osmeña is offering a P10,000 cash reward to anyone who can give information on the whereabouts of road rage suspect Edward Erasmo.

Last Oct. 17, a Facebook post caught social media attention after a taxi passenger posted a video and photos of a road rage incident on Pope John Paul II Ave. in Barangay Mabolo.

The post was uploaded by a certain Cai Cabancalan.

The video showed that at 3:55 p.m. last Tuesday, a man identified as Erasmo got off a Toyota Innova and kicked the side window of the taxi driver.

The driver could be heard asking “Naunsa man ka (What’s wrong with you?)” after an enraged Erasmo kept on kicking the cab’s side window.

A few seconds later, Erasmo smashed the taxi window with a brick, wounding the driver, and then threatened to shoot him.

As of 5 p.m. yesterday, the post had 36,000 shares and 10,000 comments. Among those who saw the post was Mayor Osmeña.

Last Thursday, the mayor asked Erasmo, who is now wanted by the Cebu City Police Office,  to surrender to authorities.

In his news conference yesterday, Osmeña said he has been receiving tips from several informants, a few of which claimed that the suspect fled to Manila.

There were also reports that Erasmo and his relatives work for various call centers in the city.

Osmeña pointed out that the suspect does not come from a wealthy clan and that the latter allegedly has a questionable background.

“I want to set an example. We don’t want to see people like this. They’re not welcome here. It’s a warning to everybody. Don’t do that in our city,” he said.

Meanwhile, Land Transportation Office 7 officer-in-charge Regional Director Alita Pulga said they will be sending a subpoena to both the taxi driver and Erasmo, who will also be facing a string of criminal complaints.

Supt. Ryan Devaras, the Investigation and Detective Management Branch chief, said they will file physical injuries, grave threats and malicious mischief charges against Erasmo before the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office on Monday.

The owner of the Toyota Innova that Erasmo was renting also plans to file an estafa case against him for his alleged failure to pay his dues in the past two weeks.

Erasmo’s wife returned the vehicle last Thursday afternoon.

Investigation showed that Erasmo possibly got angry after the taxi driver overtook him on Pope John Paul II Ave.

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on October 21, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments