Palace asked to declare Oct. 26 a holiday in Cebu | SunStar

Palace asked to declare Oct. 26 a holiday in Cebu

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Palace asked to declare Oct. 26 a holiday in Cebu

Friday, October 20, 2017

PRESIDENTIAL Assistant for the Visayas Michael Dino is asking Malacañang to declare Oct. 26 a holiday in Cebu to honor the late Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal.

Vidal will be buried on Oct. 26 at the mausoleum of the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral.

In a statement, Dino said he informed Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea about the suggestion due to “ requests by local government units and the ardent desire of the Cebuanos.”

“Indeed a pivotal shepherd for 29 years in our Archdiocese, the declaration of a holiday on the occasion of his interment will enable our people to pay their last respects to the beloved cardinal,” Dino said.

Dino, who said Medialdea is studying the request, hopes Malacañang will give it the nod.

Meanwhile, Dino said President Rodrigo Duterte will visit Vidal’s wake, but the former has no confirmation when.

Dino told reporters that Duterte’s aides have been asking him for details of Vidal’s wake, including when and where the burial will be held.

Dino said the President will be in Bacolod on Sunday but the latter has yet to determine if he will drop by Cebu for Vidal’s wake.

Dino was at the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral last Thursday to pay his final respects to Vidal. (JKV)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on October 21, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments