Closure of N. Bacalso moved to Monday | SunStar

Closure of N. Bacalso moved to Monday

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Closure of N. Bacalso moved to Monday

Friday, November 10, 2017

(SunStar File Photo)

THE closure of the southbound lane of N. Bacalso Ave., particularly from the corner of F. Llamas St. near a fast food chain, will push through on Monday to pave the way for the continuing construction of a P638-million underpass project in the area.

Engr. Roy dela Cruz, project engineer of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7, said they agreed with the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) to move the closure because of the need to clear the other lane of the road.

“We will prepare everything and we will closely work with CCTO to lessen the congestion and guide our drivers once we implement the closure,” dela Cruz told SunStar Cebu.

They initially scheduled the closure of the southbound lane of N. Bacalso Ave. today but decided to call it off early in the morning.

CCTO operations chief Francisco Ouano said DPWH 7 has to clear first the northbound lane of the road for the safety of motorists.

READ: Expect heavy traffic on south highway

“The half lane of the northbound lane of the road is open to motorists, but there is a need to clear it first,” Ouano said.

Dela Cruz said the north-bound lane, or the lane in front of a supermarket, will be open as they transfer the construction work.

CCTO will divert vehicular traffic to the alternative roads, which include Katipunan St., M. Gochan St and Caimito St. once the closure of the southbound lane starts.

The alternative roads will be two- way, which means southbound and northbound vehicles can access it, while buses and other trucks will be asked to use the Cebu South Coastal Road (CSCR).

Since the closure was moved, the traffic office has reminded the motorists to plan ahead their trip to avoid getting caught in traffic.

Ouano said they are still encouraging the drivers of private vehicles to access CSCR to lessen the congestion on the alternative roads.

Signs were already put up before drivers can reach the alternative roads. Additional traffic enforcers will be deployed in the area to guide drivers. (RVC)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on November 10, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments