For garbage work negligence, village may lose City aid | SunStar

For garbage work negligence, village may lose City aid

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

For garbage work negligence, village may lose City aid

Thursday, November 16, 2017

FOR allegedly failing to collect garbage, Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña said he will cancel the honorarium that the trash loaders of Barangay Basak Pardo are getting from the City Government.

Osmeña said he received the report from Councilor Dave Tumulak, who was from the area that facts written in the trip tickets of the garbage trucks were fabricated.

“I’m going to cancel the honorarium of all the loaders there. They fake the collections, the one who reported to me is Dave Tumulak, he knows because he is from there,” the mayor told reporters.

Aside from the honorarium, Osmeña said he also signed an order pulling out the garbage trucks of the city that were deployed in the barangay.

In a separate interview, Tumulak, who was a former barangay captain of Basak Pardo, said there are sitios in the barangay that were written in the trip ticket, but residents complained that their garbage were not picked up.

“It was only this week that we found out about it after the residents complained that the barangay will only collect once a week,” Tumulak said.

When sought for comment, Basak Pardo Barangay Captain Yolandito Cagang said the allegations were not true.

“If our loaders did not collect the garbage, the residents themselves can smell the foul odor of the waste, but there was none,” he said.

Cagang said there are instances that their loaders cannot collect the garbage because of the volume of trucks lining up at the transfer station, although that didn’t last for several days.

“Usually, if we can’t collect today, the collection will immediately resume the following day,” he said.

Cagang hopes the mayor will reconsider his decision, considering that their six loaders are receiving P1,500 per month honorarium only from the barangay.

The loaders get additional P5,000 monthly allowance from the City.

Meanwhile, opposition councilors said they support the decision of the mayor to let barangay tanods submit their accomplishment reports twice a month instead of weekly.

Councilor Raymond Garcia said tanods should be out assisting peace and order and should not spend most of their time doing desk job.

Councilor Pastor Alcover Jr., for his part, hopes that the executive department will be able to release their honorarium on a monthly basis to help them cope with their daily expenses. (RVC)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on November 17, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments