‘All set’ for PDP-Laban mass oath-taking | SunStar

‘All set’ for PDP-Laban mass oath-taking

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

‘All set’ for PDP-Laban mass oath-taking

Thursday, November 16, 2017

CEBU. A stage is being set up at the Plaza Independencia where 50,000 local city and municipal mayors will take their oath as new members of the administration party PDP-Laban today. (SunStar Cebu/Allan Cuizon)

WHY do officials under the Partido Demokratikong Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), the political party of President Rodrigo Duterte, have to undergo a seminar conducted by the Community Party in China?

This was the question that Cebu City City Mayor Tomas Osmeña wants House Speaker Aquilino Pimentel III to answer.

“PDP-Laban is putting up a big show and one of those coming is Senator Pimentel. I’d like to ask an open question to Senator Pimentel, why (did) he recommended that PDP-Laban officials undergo seminars conducted by the Community Party in China?” Osmeña told reporters on Thursday, November 16.

Duterte’s trusted partymates, including Pimentel and House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez, will lead other PDP-Laban bigwigs, who will grace the oath-taking of 50,000 new members, including municipal and city mayors, in Cebu Province today.

As a huge crowd is expected to show up during the ceremony, convenors are doing their best not to inconvenience the public.

Cebu City Councilor Raymond Garcia said they expect the majority of the crowd at the Plaza Independencia today to be from the city being the host city of the activity.

Aside from welcome remarks from Nixon Dizon, the PDP-Laban president in Cebu Province, Rep. Gwen Garcia (Cebu, 3rd district) and Cebu City Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella are also expected to give speeches.

Garcia said there will be a basic orientation seminar on the party’s principle and programs, among others.

Cebu City Councilor Jocelyn Pesquera said that those who don’t want to join the activity should avoid areas near the plaza tomorrow as heavy traffic is expected there.

Cebu City Transportation Office Operations Chief Francisco Ouano said more enforcers will be deployed around Plaza Independencia.

Vehicles will only be allowed to park at Compania Maritima.

Cebu City Councilor Joel Garganera said they have coordinated with police, Cebu Port Authority, representatives of different shipping lines and nearby barangays, among others, to secure the area.

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on November 17, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments