Works on Mactan-Cebu airport 2nd runway starts 2018 | SunStar

Works on Mactan-Cebu airport 2nd runway starts 2018

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Works on Mactan-Cebu airport 2nd runway starts 2018

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Improvements. The Mactan Cebu International Airport will start constructing its second runway next year. This will allow more international flights for Cebu. (SunStar Foto/Allan Cuizon)

THE Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) will start the construction of the second runway next year to accommodate more international aircraft.

Representative Raul V. Del Mar (North district, Cebu City), the author of MCIAA Charter, got the information from MCIAA General Manager Steve Dicdican during their meeting at Cebu Capitol on Thursday, November 16.

Del Mar said the feasibility study of the runway is ongoing.

Del Mar said the cost of the second runway will be taken from the balance of the P14.4 billion paid by GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corp. (GMCAC) in 2014 plus additional funds to be appropriated by the MCIAA board.

Del Mar said Dicdican told them that the 2nd runway will be bid out by February 2018, and the construction will be in the 2nd quarter of 2018.

MCIAA Director Julius “Jayjay” G. Neri Jr. clarified that what they intend to start building next year is an alternate or emergency runway. This means that they will build another runway, but it cannot be used simultaneously with the existing runway. Instead, it will act as a backup and alternate.

In an interview, Dicdican said the main agenda was to treat the GMCAC master plan proposal.

“This meeting was called for the approval of the original proponent status of GMCAC for the 50-year master plan for MCIAA,” Dicdican said.

He said the MCIAA Board decided to grant GMCAC the original proponent status for the 50-year master plan under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP).

“This just starts the process. The proposal will still undergo the process by Neda (National Economic and Development Authority) and eventually negotiation with MCIAA over the terms before we submit this to Swiss Challenge,” Dicdican said.

He said that there might be other companies that are interested to bid, but subject to the right of the original proponent.

“This project will prevent us from going in the way of NAIA (Ninoy Aquino International Airport) where they have congestion, not just the runway but also in the terminals,” Dicdican said.

Davide said he thinks the GMCAC master plan for further development of the airport is feasible but still subject to further study.

For his part, Neri said there are many terms and conditions they want changed.

“We did decide to give GMR Original Proponent status to have the right of first refusal on this project subject to changing the terms of the agreement in their initial proposal to what the board will accept. There are several changes that the board wants in their proposal, Neri said.

The others in the meeting were MCIAA Directors Annabel Pulvera Page and Ramon Clavano, Department of Justice (DOJ) Assistant Secretary George Ortha and a representative from the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP). (EOB)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on November 17, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments