Mayor thanks Osmeña for P2M in financial aid | SunStar

Mayor thanks Osmeña for P2M in financial aid

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Mayor thanks Osmeña for P2M in financial aid

Sunday, November 19, 2017

“ON behalf of the people of San Francisco, Anaoaon, Surigao del Norte, we are grateful for your decision in restoring your aid for our municipality.”

This was the message of San Francisco Mayor Guia Sabanal to Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña, following the latter’s pronouncement that the City Government will restore the P2 million financial assistance it will be extending to the quake-battered area.

“Again, thank you Mayor Tommy for your generous donation and for the consideration you have granted on us. God bless,” said Sabanal in a Facebook post dated Nov. 17.

The town mayor also thanked City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office chief Nagiel Bañacia and lawyer Meriam Escober, head of the Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor. Sabanal said the two City Hall officials helped clarify the miscommunication between the two local government units.

Hours prior to Sabanal’s posting, Osmeña announced the restoration of the donation and apologized to the people of San Francisco.

The mayor had found out that the shortcomings, particularly in the processing of the aid for the Municipal Government of San Francisco, came from City Hall’s end and not the intended beneficiaries.

Osmeña, though, stood firm that the P10.3-million financial aid for Ormoc will be cancelled.

This, despite the request of Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez to reconsider his decision.

He said that the City can help them if they’re hit by another disaster. (RTF)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on November 19, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments