EIGHT officials of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) are facing graft charges before the Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas over the allegedly irregular awarding of fencing contract amounting to P28.2 million last year.
Deputy Ombudsman Paul Elmer Clemente was asked to investigate the airport officials for alleged violation of Republic Act 9184 (Government Procurement Reform Act), the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, grave abuse of authority, negligence, extortion, and bribery.
Named respondents were Steve Dicdican, Mactan airport general manager; Achilles Ponce, MCIAA engineering division officer-in-charge; Era Borinaga, MCIAA budget division officer-in-charge; Dennis Bondoc, MCIAA engineer; and Glenn Napuli, William Sabado, Venus Casas, and Eduardo Ginete and the airport’s bids and awards committee members.
The anonymous complainant also furnished the Office of the President and Michael Dino, the assistant to the President in the Visayas with copies of his complaint.
Although the complainant did not indicate his name in the complaint, businessman Crisologo Saavedra, who had sued several airport officials in the past, was the one who furnished Sun.Star Cebu with copy of the complaint.
Last Oct. 17, 2016, Engr. Paul Villarete, the former Mactan airport general manager, entered into a contract with Mindanao Rock for the supply of labor, materials, tools and equipment for the rehabilitation and improvement of the airport’s perimeter security fence amounting to P28, 214, 282.
The contract was awarded to the winning bidder allegedly without a publication in the newspaper.
The complainant said the contact violated the government rules on bidding procedures.
He also claimed that the notice of award does not contain completion date and that the unit prices were bloated.
The complainant said that the favored contractor was even the one that prepared the scope of work and bills of the materials.
Sun.Star Cebu tried but failed to get the side of Dicdican, the airport manager. Calls and text message to his mobile phone were unanswered as of press time last night. (GMD)
Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on December 08, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.