Bridge project turned over to contractor | SunStar

Bridge project turned over to contractor

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Bridge project turned over to contractor

Friday, December 15, 2017

Third bridge. The contract for the third Cebu-Mactan bridge project is turned over in a ceremony as a rig is put in place, signalling its kickoff. (SunStar Photo/Alex Badayos)

THE Cebu-Cordova Expressway Corp. (CCLEC), the company that will operate the third bridge that will connect mainland Cebu City to Cordova, will charge each motorist P89 as toll fee once it is operational by 2021.

The amount is exclusive to class 1 vehicles, such as cars and other private vehicles.

It will be doubled for class 2 vehicles, including buses, and triple for class 3 vehicles, like 10-wheeler trucks and other heavy vehicles.

Metro Pacific Toolways Corp. (MPTC) President Rodrigo Franco said that based on standards for expressways, especially the elevated ones, the rate is within the normal range and is similar to what is collected in other expressways in the country.

“We expect that the bulk of vehicular traffic will be class 1 or private cars. The P89 toll fee will basically cover around eight kilometers of the expressway, so that’s like P10 per kilometer,” he said.

Franco assured the rate will not increase in 2021, or the time when the bridge will be operational.

MPTC is the mother company of CCLEC.

Presidential Legislative Liaison Office Head and former Cordova Mayor Adelino Sitoy said the rate will be imposed for 35 years.

CCLEC will operate the bridge for 35 years and will turn the structure over to the two local government units after.

The Cebu Link Joint Venture (CLJV), which is a joint venture of Spain-based Acciona Construccion S. A., and Philippine-based First Balfour Inc. and D. M. Consunji Inc., which will construct the CCLEX for an estimated amount of P22.6 billion, will start working on the detailed engineering design of the project on Jan. 8.

Although the design-and-build contract of the project was awarded to CLJV last Nov. 23, a ceremonial turnover was held yesterday with the officials of Cebu City and Cordova along with CCLEC, among others.

CCLEC President and General Manager Allan Alfon said they have complied with all the requirements for the construction.

It include the height clearance from Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines, navigational clearance from the Cebu Port Authority, Special Land Use Permit and the Environmental Compliance Certificate from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. (RVC)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on December 15, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments