Suspended Labogon chief continues to report for work | SunStar

Suspended Labogon chief continues to report for work

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Suspended Labogon chief continues to report for work

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

DESPITE the 60-day suspension imposed on him, Barangay Captain Renato Suson of Labogon, Mandaue City continues to report to the barangay hall reportedly to help in the garbage collection and help ensure peace and order.

Suson, however, clarified that he does not sign any documents for the barangay after his suspension order was served.

Suson called for a press conference yesterday to comment on the complaint related to the alleged “ghost delivery” of construction materials intended for the rehabilitation of the village’s material recovery facility (MRF).

It was the first time he showed up after the suspension was implemented last Dec. 28, 2017.

“I am really disappointed that the City Council said that there was no actual delivery receipt of the construction materials,” said Suson.

He and Barangay Councilors Alfredo Estrada and Benwilson Bodo Jr. were preventively suspended after their fellow barangay officials filed a complaint before the City Council for alleged violation of Republic Act 3019, or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act last July 10, 2017.

The complainants were Barangay Councilors Amado Manatad, Corazon Dajao-Tumulak, Marvin Soco and Baby Besabella Gutierrez.

The City’s committee of good government, public ethics and accountability chaired by Coucilor Nenita Layese stated in its report that “the fact that there was no actual receipt of deliveries of 65 bags of cement, five cubic meters of gravel, five cubic meters of sand and 1,000 pieces of hollow blocks are very serious charges, aggravated by the fact of non-compliance with the provisions of RA 9184 as to the procurement of the aforesaid materials.”

The suspension was also made to prevent the three officials from influencing the investigators.

Records

During the press conference, Suson showed reporters the receipts for the rehabilitation of the MRF, which was implemented in 2015. These receipts were from Petronio Enterprises, at No. 2 Main Road Tawason, Mandaue City.

The charge/sales invoice was dated June 5, 2015, while the collection receipt showed it was issued last June 29, 2015.

Suson said that the charge/sales invoice served as the delivery receipt. He said it was acknowledged by Jovelle Lastimosa, the barangay record keeper, as the treasurer was not around during that time.

Suson said that the collection receipt, which is considered as the official receipt, followed after the treasurer signed the payment voucher.

In a previous report, Layese said that the store where the materials were reportedly bought is non-existent in its address in Tawason, which Suson denied.

He believed that the complaint filed against him was politically-motivated considering that the barangay elections are already near. (FMG)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on January 04, 2018.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments