(UPDATED) -- Telecommunications companies Globe Telecom and Smart Communications Inc. announced Saturday afternoon that there will be no mobile signal during the Sinulog activities in some parts of Cebu City.
In compliance with the National Telecommunications Commission's (NTC) order and in the interest of public safety, the loss of signal will affect Globe's mobile, Globe At Home LTE, and Prepaid Wi-Fi services.
— talk2GLOBE (@talk2GLOBE) January 20, 2018
Lourdes Gocotano, Smart Public Affairs, also announced they will be temporarily shutting down mobile phone services of Smart, Sun, and TNT.
The signal shutdown will be in some parts of Cebu City and other neighboring areas.
Cebu City Councilor Dave Tumulak, who sits as Sinulog executive committee chairman, said Friday: “There’s a proposal for a signal shutdown for security purposes of the devotees. We can’t say there is a threat or not, but (the) bottom line here is the security of all devotees."
Acting Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) Director Julian Entoma earlier said the police requested from the NTC a complete signal shutdown in Cebu City, particularly on the solemn procession route today (January 20) from 12 noon until 8 p.m., and tomorrow (January 21) from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Tumulak had asked telecommunication companies to limit the coverage of the signal shutdown to Cebu City.
Last year, signal interruption was also experienced in the neighboring provinces of Bohol and Negros Oriental, among others.
He, however, did not divulge the areas that will be affected by the interruption for security reasons.
Signal jamming was first introduced last year to ensure safety and security.
Around 125 cell sites were shut down for two days. The signal returned an hour after the closing ceremony of the grand parade.
The two telco companies said the service will be restored upon the go-signal from the NTC. (CID/SunStar Philippines/with reports from SunStar Cebu)