Underpass project in Mandaue City raises more questions | SunStar

Underpass project in Mandaue City raises more questions

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Underpass project in Mandaue City raises more questions

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

WITH the proposed underpass project on U.N. Ave. awarded to a winning bidder, the Metro Cebu Bridge Management Board (MCBMB) is worried about the traffic it will bring to the cities of Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu during construction.

However, Noynito Paylado, planning division head of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7, said that the project will not be implemented without an agreed traffic management plan.

Paylado was asked to answer questions during yesterday’s stakeholders’ meeting with MCBMB vice chairperson Pericles Dakay, who wanted to know the 900-day project’s socio-cultural and economic effects on the cities concerned, especially traffic.

Paylado said they will open the sides of U.N. Ave.’s existing four lanes before construction starts.

The P711-million project on U.N. Ave corner of Plaridel St. was contracted to BM Marketing of Leyte.

Earlier, businessman Kenneth Cobonpue, Regional Development Council 7 co-chairman, warned the DPWH 7 that building the underpass on U.N. Ave. without a proper study will endanger the life of motorists.

Cobonpue said the area is prone to flooding and is near the sea.

“What if the rainwater and seawater will seep to the underpass (during) rainy days? We need pumps. What if the pumps will conk out, the water will seep in and the motorists who are trapped in a traffic under will be endangered? That is very dangerous,” he said.

DPWH 7 Director Ador Canlas said that the project was bid out for “design and build.” It will not be implemented until the DPWH approves it.

Canlas said they issued a “notice to proceed” to BM Marketing last Dec. 8. The design is expected to be finished in June.

Cobonpue said the agency should revoke the “notice to proceed,” and consult the people and conduct a study first.

Canlas said that they will consult stakeholders before closing the affected area. (EOB & Tessa Frances T. Aguilar, USJ-R Intern)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on February 14, 2018.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments