Police reveal face of man who led killer to Ungab | SunStar

Police reveal face of man who led killer to Ungab

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Police reveal face of man who led killer to Ungab

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Lead. Senior Insp. Jonathan Taneo (left) shows a photo of the man who allegedly led a killer to lawyer Jonnah John Ungab. (Contributed Foto/Arnold Bustamante)

TASK Force Ungab revealed the face of the man who allegedly led the gunman to Atty. Jonnah John Ungab, which led to his ambush last Monday.

The task force, composed of intelligence units of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO), is asking the public to report to the authorities if they know where that man is.

“We are checking if he is in our list of possible hitmen who already have records in the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7,” said Supt. Ryan Devaras, chief of the Intelligence and Detection Management Branch (IDMB).

“They were hired goons who were paid by somebody in order to kill Atty. Ungab,” Devaras said of the gunman and his alleged informant, adding that the two acted like professional hitmen.

Senior Insp. Jonathan Taneo, chief of the Homicide Section, said that the police are coordinating with police units in the cities of Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu to trace the gunman. Closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera footage they have obtained that caught the gunman did not reveal his face.

“His features were captured from a far distance. That’s why we are in the process of securing other CCTV footage (that shows the two) while they were speeding away from the scene,” Taneo said.

Task Force Ungab can be reached through these numbers: 09434221841 or (032) 266-5494.

Taneo said that they are still conducting a background investigation on the identities of the informant and the gunman, as well as gathering witnesses who might have seen them.

Chief Insp. Cristopher Navida, chief of the City Intelligence Branch, said they are also coordinating with establishments in the area “so that we can gather more CCTV footage before and after the incident. That also includes the escape of the gunman toward the direction of Mandaue.”

Navida said that the task force already shared the photos with other intelligence units in Cebu Province, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu.

Ungab had just driven away from the Hall of Justice before noon last Monday when a man walked up to his car and shot him twice in the head. The man then got away on a motorbike another man was driving. (JOB)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on February 24, 2018.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments