Cebuanos asked to have consensus-A A +A
Friday, October 8, 2010
CEBU CITY – President Benigno Aquino III assured Cebuanos on Thursday that he can source out funds to carry out the P4.4 billion worth of infrastructure projects requested by the local businessmen but asked them to have a consensus on the kind of projects they want, particularly on a mass transport system.
In a teleconference with Aquino on his first 100 days in office, Cebu Chamber of Commerce and Industry president Samuel Chioson followed up on the infrastructure projects that businessmen requested from Aquino during his visit last month.
The P4.4 billion covers road widening, concreting and rehabilitation of national roads, drainage improvement, flyover construction and the rehabilitation of the first Mandaue-Mactan Bridge.
Aquino, in response, said projects can be funded but he asked Cebuanos to be one on what projects they want to be implemented in Cebu, particularly on mass transport system.
“Yung amount (for the projects), we can source that. Ang issue dito is yung mass transport system,” Aquino said.
“Magkasundo po tayo dun sa inyong mga pangagailangan. Kailangan natin ng consensus para sa kung paano natin matutugunan yung problema (We compromise with your needs. We just need a consensus on how to address the problem),” he said.
Aquino said many Cebuanos have opposed the implementation of a mass transport system in Cebu because it will destroy many heritage sites.
Aquino said the National Economic and Development Authority and other agencies are conducting studies on the appropriate mass transport for Cebu.
Former Cebu City mayor now Representative Tomas Osmeña has been pitching for the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) while Representative Eduardo Gullas (Cebu, 1st district) is pushing for a light railway transit-mono rail transit (LRT-MRT) as a mass transport system in Metro Cebu.
Aquino also said aside from the mass transport system, he will focus on addressing the water supply problems in Metro Cebu.
Cebu’s aquifers are nearly depleted and water shortage can hurt tourism, the President said.
Meanwhile, a human-rights group criticized Aquino for failing to address the culture of impunity and stop extra-judicial killings in the country.
Karapatan-Central Visayas said attacks against militant activists continue under the Aquino administration, with 14 cases of extrajudicial killings recorded since it took over in July. (PDF/RSB/Sun.Star Cebu)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 08, 2010.