City stops lechon meant for captain’s party-A A +A
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
A BARANGAY captain who was asked to deliver a lechon to a fellow winner in the recent barangay elections lost his pig yesterday to a Mandaue City Hall team.
City Hall confiscated two roasted pigs and two other hog carcasses yesterday because, according to City Veterinarian Daisy Penetrante, the meat had not been inspected by her office and the owners had not paid the required taxes.
The pork would be donated to the City Social Welfare Office, for distribution.
Mantuyong Barangay Captain Tony Maquilan said his pig was not slaughtered in the City abattoir.
After the confiscation at the back of the old public market, he ended up ordering lechon from a restaurant, which he then delivered to Cubacub Barangay Captain Edgar Bihag.
Both community leaders were reelected last month.
Maquilan, who lost P4,500 to the City, complained that the slaughterhouse will not accept one or two animals for slaughter and processing. That’s why he had the pig slaughtered outside at the back of the old public market.
He said the City abattoir prefers that livestock be sent in groups.
“What if there are emergencies or last-minute orders?” said Maquilan in Cebuano.
Veterinarian Penetrante, however, said the City abattoir slaughters individual orders, as they have a separate cauldron for that. She said it was the second time they cited Maquilan for dealing “hot” meat. Last week, they also confiscated a slaughtered pig, because they suspect the animal had been sick.
Maquilan explained that the previous pig, worth P10,000, had been shipped here from Mindanao and was very weak when it arrived in Cebu, so he decided to have it slaughtered right away.
To help small-scale livestock dealers, he requested Penetrante and City Hall to assign a meat inspector at the back of the old public market, to check livestock slaughtered there.
Maquilan said he and other dealers at the back of the public market are willing to pay the proper fees, but have received no response yet from City Hall.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on November 10, 2010.