‘Killers’ of two boys charged-A A +A
Friday, November 5, 2010
THE Mandaue City Police Office (MCPO) filed two counts of murder against farm workers who allegedly killed two 12-year-old boys whom they suspected as thieves.
The bodies of Aljay Acuesta, 13; and Ellarry Villaren, 12, were found last Oct. 29, a day after they were reported missing. Police arrested the suspects, Lucas Taoy, 35 and Jason Laurente, 18, last Oct. 30.
Though the case was considered “closed” by the police with the arrest and filing of charges against the two suspects, Mayor Jonas Cortes finds the MCPO remiss in their intelligence work.
Acting City Director Noel Gillamac is “lucky” the crime was solved quickly, said Cortes.
He said police have failed to prevent the crimes in city even if they knew robbery groups have arrived in Cebu.
Cortes said the City will put up traffic lights and security cameras in 14 major intersections to monitor suspicious persons.
Taoy and Laurente signed a waiver of detention yesterday to allow authorities to place them under detention after they were charged yesterday for the death of Acuesta and Villaren, both from Barangay Cubacub.
Police also confiscated a .22 pistol and .22 magnum revolver. They were also charged with illegal possession of firearms.
Autopsy report showed the victims died of gunshot wounds and had bruises and lacerations in the face and hands.
PNP Crime Laboratory 7 Director Nestor Sator said it is possible the victims were tortured before they were killed.
Last Monday, Gillamac gave financial assistance of P1,000 from the City to each of the victims’ families.
Cortes also gave an undetermined amount to the families from his own pocket. He said the City Council will also give financial support to the families.
On Cortes’s order, City Administrator Briccio Boholst assigned private counsel Nelson Bragat to assist the families in filing charges against the suspects.
Cortes urged Gillamac to exert more effort in preventing crimes in the city.
Last Oct. 16, robbers carted away P5,000 at the LBC robbery along A.C. Cortes. Last Oct. 21, robbers also ran away with P138,600 in the Banco Maximo robbery in Barangay Guizo.
Last Oct. 30, an undetermined amount of money was lost in the Boston Hardware robbery. Last Monday, iSource lost P223,350 cash to two robbers.
One suspect was arrested so far in the Banco Maximo robbery.
“We need to redirect our vision in addressing criminality, as we need to intensify our intelligence network,” Cortes told reporters yesterday.
He cited the need to involve the community in the campaign.
“Police know what groups and suspicious persons arrive in the city,” Cortes said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on November 05, 2010.