Tangub City contingent to show new dance steps in title defense

-A A +A

Thursday, January 13, 2011


WITH a new dance routine, Tribu Sinanduloy of Tangub City, Misamis Occidental will try to defend their title as the best contingent for the Sinulog-based category in this Sunday’s grand parade.

Chelo Gripo, senior trainer of the Sinanduloy Cultural Troupe, said their presentation will be different from what they performed in the previous years.

“Everything is new. It’s simple and it’s different if you compare it with what we showed the audience before. Mas lami, mas nindot,” she said.

Advertisement

In an interview with Sun.Star Cebu, Gripo said they will try to wow the judges with their unique choreography, technique and movements.

“Our movements will be something to look forward to. We have a lot of surprises for the audience. During our rehearsals, even our own trainers are wowed by the performance,” she said.

“We are confident with our presentation this Sunday,” Gripo added.

She declined to reveal more details, but hinted that their presentation will showcase the different images of the Sto. Niño from different places.

Gripo said they have been practicing their routine since September last year and even consulted a historian for it.

Tribu Sinanduloy’s 100 dancers and 35 props men arrived in the city yesterday.

In 2008, Tribu Sinan-duloy failed to win the grand prize, which they took home for three consecutive years before that. The group, however, started another streak after its back-to-back wins in 2009 and 2010.

Tribu Himag-ulaw of Placer, Masbate also arrived yesterday. Upon their arrival, the group did not waste any time and started to practice at the Cebu City Sports Center.

“This year, mas bongga gyud mi. Gipaghandaan gyud namo aron makadaug mi og balik (We will be better this year. We prepared for it so we will win again),” said Barry Luche, choreographer of the group.

For the props alone, Tribu Himag-ulaw spent at least P1 million. Last year, Placer’s contingent won the top purse in the free interpretation category.

Other out-of town contingents are scheduled to arrive today, including the group from Abuyog, Leyte and Dumaguete City.

Meanwhile, Councilor Alvin Dizon, who chairs the out-of-town contingents committee, said they have requested the Cebu Ports Authority (CPA) to waive the terminal fee for the out-of-town dancers who will be departing Cebu after the festival.

Dizon said the request was approved and the CPA is just waiting for the contingents to submit a list of their dancers.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 13, 2011.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for November 29, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Festivals
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sinulog
  • Pacman blog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • ePaper
  • Obituary
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Calamity Report
  • Habemus Papam
  • Philippine Polls
  • Technology
  • Pnoy
  • Sun.Star Zup!