Lists of disbelief-A A +A
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
WHAT is happening to us right now is that we are suddenly confronted with a list that has aroused surprising uproar from almost all people who knew or learned about it.
The persons who first heard about list cannot help but become curious. This is especially true for middle-level Filipino citizens who are concerned with the affairs of our nation, including its social, economic, and political circumstances.
It is even more so because the content of the list has become questionable, as this includes names of people who did not wish and/or did not expect to be included in it.
And so it becomes a list surrounded by a halo of disbelief and one that ought not to be seen or known by the public.
But then, whether one likes it or not, the fact remains that many of those in the list that was released the other day are high in the “social register” of this government.
Thus, there is the outcry of disbelief from them.
The list, which was tackled in the banner story of Sun.Star Cebu yesterday, had the names of three Cebuano lawmakers in it. They denied involvement in the scam.
But this actually pales in significance to the revelation made by a national daily last Monday about the so-called “complete records of Benhur Luy,” the top whistle-blower in the Janet Lim-Napoles case.
The Benhur Luy hard drive, which he gave to the Inquirer, contained some “20,103 files held in 2,156 folders during the period 2002 to 2012.” The files that were kept by Benhur, the financial assistant of Napoles, were in a laptop containing business transaction records.
The report said that close to 200 people, including lawmakers, department heads, a former Supreme Court justice and popular media personalities were among the names in the list.
How the kickback deliveries were made using various techniques and methods makes for interesting but disgusting reading when we realize that it is our country that is made a victim of the nefarious act.
It is no wonder then that the three Cebuano lawmakers in the other list made a tremendous howl of protest. That these lawmakers should justly be in the list I cannot really accept in the sense that I personally know who they are. This matter I truly disbelieve.
At any rate, the vaunted Napoles list is now a sort of public knowledge. Earlier, rehabilitation czar Ping Lacson said that if he would release the list the 24-member Senate might collapse. But since the Inquirer’s Benhur Luy hard drive revelation seemed to have preempted the expose, I think Ping had no choice but to follow suit.
The list he had became merely confirmatory to that of Luy. The fault, if revealing the list is a fault, shifts to the Inquirer.
What is unfortunate is the sad circumstance that has befallen our country. We now know how ignorant we had been about the scam perpetrated by Napoles and many of our national leaders. Imagine, the naivete cost us P10 billion of hard-earned taxes!
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 15, 2014.