Two-time champ Donaire back in Manila, wants to unify bantamweight div.-A A +A
Thursday, March 10, 2011
WORLD Boxing Council and World Boxing Organization bantamweight king Nonito Donaire Jr. has returned to the Philippines after following his impressive dethroning over Mexican star Fernando Montiel last month in Las Vegas.
Donaire Jr., who arrived in Manila yesterday with his wife Rachel, thanked all the Filipinos for their support in his last fight.
“Excited na excited kami to be home and just to say thank you to everyone. Sa lahat ng support and prayers kasi kailangan ko yon nang pumunta ako sa ring. With the boos and the yeheys na galing sa Filipinos, nabigyan ako ng energy,” Donaire Jr told ABS CBN news.
Donaire Jr. scored a vicious second-round stoppage over one of the best bantamweights in the world, Montiel, in their world title match last Feb. 19 at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.
The 28-year-old Filipino-American’s next ring appearance is scheduled in May and he wants to face the other world champions in a unification bout.
“One possibility is (Anselmo) Moreno. (Koki) Kameda is a WBA champion din, but si Moreno ang super champion. Siya po ang No. 2 in the bantamweight, ako ang No. 1 ngayon at gusto kong makalaban ang No. 2. But there is also (Joseph) Agbeko at (Abner) Mares,” he said.
Donaire Jr.’s goal is to become the undisputed champion in the bantamweight division.
Donaire Jr. has recently reconciled with his father and former trainer Nonito Donaire Sr., after a long spat. However, he is now involved in a word-war with three boxing writers.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 10, 2011.