Siso, Abarquez join Davao tennis-A A +A
Friday, February 24, 2012
CEBUANO junior tennis players will be taking part in the 2nd Selecta-Merco Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio National Men’s and Women’s Invitational Tennis Championships on March 15 at the Woodridge Park Tennis Courts, Davao City.
The country’s top eight in the men’s and women’s division will be seeing action in this tournament.
Sally Mae Siso, who is 7th in the women’s ranking country and men’s No. 13, Israel Abarquez, are the only Cebuanos in this tournament.
The top eight players in the women’s division are Anna Clarice Patrimonio, Mariane Jade Capadocia, Aileen Rogan, Alyssa Anne Labay, Marinel Rudas, Macy Gonzales and Macy Solon.
“I consider Patrimonio as my toughest opponent. She defeated me for the first time during last year’s Philippine National Games and we might meet again this time,” said Siso, who added that Patrimonio improved a lot because of her international training and exposure.
Siso recently won the 18-Under girls title of the Dunlop Tennis Junior Championship Series and led Cebu City in winning the regional Private Schools Athletic Association title.
Meanwhile, Abarquez said he aims to improve his game in the men’s division. This is his second time in the tournament. Last year he only reached the second round after he was defeated by the country’s no.1 Johnny Arcilla 6-2,6-2.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 25, 2012.