CFA to give way to Cesafi football-A A +A
Wednesday, July 4, 2012
THE early staging of the year’s Aboitiz Football Cup has led some teams competing in the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. football event to worry if the September staging of the event would mean a conflict of schedule.
Though Cesafi has not announced the dates for its tournament, based on last year’s schedule, it started in the third week of August and ended in October.
And since Cesafi is very strict when it comes to players joining other tournaments when the league is ongoing, defending champion University of San Carlos coach Gary Panagsaganan said his players’ priority will be the school league.
“Kawawa yung college players kasi hindi sila makakalaro kasi priority nila yung Cesafi,” said USC head coach Gary Panagsagan. “Sana i-weigh ng CFA ito at after Cesafi na lang yung Aboitiz para makajoin ang players,” said Panagsagan.
But the CFA has already anticipated the clash of schedules.
CFA tournament head Glen Quisido said they have anticipated these clashes of schedules from tournaments set in August and September and are willing to give way to Cesafi.
However, they still plan to hold the Aboitiz Cup this September for the age groups that don’t cover the Cesafi players. The Boys 12, 17 and 19, which covers the Cesafi age group, will be played after the school tournament is over.
Quisido said that if the Aboitiz group will allow it, other matches will be played in either the USC-TC field or San Roque fields and not just the Aboitiz Sportsfield so the event will be finished earlier.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 05, 2012.